Name: List Number:
Mr. Rafael Sans – Grammar
Grammar Test 2
I. Short Answer (16%):
1) What are a few of the meanings modal auxiliaries express?
2) What’s the difference between must not and do not have to?
3) What does be supposed to express?
4) What does should have usually express?
II. True or False (15%):
5) Could and should have the same meaning. True False
6) Would you mind if I + simple pastasks someone to do something. True False
7) The past form of could is can. True False
III. Use the appropriate modal auxiliary to express ABILITY, POSSIBILITY, or
8) I _____________ usually eat five slices of pizza, but when I was a child, I _______________
9) No, Manuel, you ______________ not go to the bathroom. You ____________ go later.
10) Tonight, I _____________ watch T.V. with my wife, although I’ll probably fall asleep.
11) I think I broke my foot. Yesterday I _______________ walk OK, but today I _____________.
12) Tomorrow, if I ________________ get out of work early, I _______________ go see my
grandma. I probably won’t be able to, though.
13) You _______________ leave the house looking like that! That shirt is awful.
IV. Use the appropriate modal auxiliary to ask a POLITE QUESTION (14%):
14) ____________________ lend me your pencil?
15) ____________________ go to your house tonight?
16) ____________________ borrow your pencil?
17) I think you have a very nice car. _____________________ let me drive it?
18) Mrs. Cady, ______________________ leave early today?
19) Mr. President, ____________________ pass me that fork?
20) Anthony, _________________ like to eat pizza at Giovannella’s tonight?
V. Use the appropriate modal auxiliary to express ADVICE (6 %):
21) You _____________________ start studying for your exams early.
22) You _____________________ studied for all of his exams.
23) You _____________________ eat too much before you go to bed.
24) You _____________________ eat that salad, or it will make you sick.
25) Nigel ____________________ talk to his boss about his annoying secretary.
26) Tom _____________________ spent more time with his sister before she left home.
VI. Use the appropriate modal auxiliary to express NECESSITY, LACK OF
NECESSITY, AND PROHIBITION (12%):
26) People who are travelling on a plane ____________________ carry bombs with themselves,
or they will go to jail.
27) You _____________________ go to the bathroom every five minutes, unless there is
something wrong with you.
28) You _______________________ drink and drive.
29) Do _______________________ (you) talk so loudly Juan?
30) I ___________________ study for my test last night.
31) Since tomorrow is a holiday, children ____________________________ go to class.
VII. Use the appropriate modal auxiliary to MAKE A SUGGESTION (5%):
32) A: I’m sleepy.
B: ______________________ go to bed earlier at night?
A: Because I have to work at night.
B ______________________ look for another job? One where you have better hours.
A: Good idea! _____________________ buy a newspaper so I can find a better job in the
B: _________________________ just go to places and ask for interviews?
A: That’s even better! ____________________ before it gets too late.
VIII. Use the appropriate modal auxiliary to STATE A PREFERENCE(6%):
33) I _________________ watch Barcelona play _______________ Real Madrid.
34) I ______________________________ a million dollars __________ a million colones.
35) Mario _________________________ go to Italy ______________ to Spain.
IX. Use the appropriate modal auxiliary to express the degree of certainty given
in parenthesis (16%):
36) John isn’t here. He ________________ be asleep. (95%, present)
37) The dog is not eating. He __________________ be hungry. (less than 50% sure, present)
38) Sam ate too much last night. She _____________________ hungry before she went to bed.
(99% sure, past)
39) Jaime studied. He ____________________ get a good grade (90% sure, future)
40) Josue didn’t pick up the phone. He ______________________ home. (less than 50% sure,
41) I ______________________ work on my car tonight. (50% sure, future)
42) David didn’t come to school. He _____________________ sick. (95% sure, past)
43) If you study hard, you ________________ pass the exam. (100% sure, future)