In this presentation, Deblina introduces IoT and gives examples of interesting applications in that space. Deblina is interested in data mining and sensor networks which she wants to use to develop applications that aid the army and women.
NAME: Deblina Sanyal
TWITTER ID:Deblina Sanyal
UNIVERSITY: SRM University
BRANCH:Computer science and engineering
Stay connected with IoT
• In layman’s language internet of things basically deals with the
humans,animals and objects taking the place of electronic devices
and getting connected to the network worldwide, transferring
data without any human human or human computer interactions.
• It can be said to be an advanced version of the wireless
• Here a thing refers to the humans animals objects having the
electronic systems like sensors etc embedded in them.
• This is the very fast growing technology in today’s world where
there is a need for smaller systems, speed and versatality etc.
• The current proposal for the IOT is the Datoos (DNA Tatoos) by the
Frog Company which is the printable tatoo for the interactive
display via various inputs.
• IOT goes beyond the normal machine to machine to cover a wider
range of protocols domains and applications.
• Its basically the capacity of linking every human, animals objects to
each other and the world without the need of carrying devices to
• It is basically turning everything to a computer connected to a giant
network across the globe.
• IOT ensures higher processing speed, capacity to store, not carrying
the devices while still being connected, smaller devices, tracking,
• IOT has the capability to take over the entire protocols,domains,
applications etc making better use of them and also aiding the
invention of more technologies.
Are you connected yet?
• One of the use of IoT is the Mimo Kimono where you get the real
time audio and insights about your baby’s sleep activity,right on
your smart device from anywhere in the world very useful for the
working ladies out here.
• The Mimo kimono is made of soft cotton with respiration sensors
pressed to the top of the kimono,keeping anything from touching
your’s baby’s skin. Information from the sensor sent by the Turtle
via Bluetooth to the Lilypad, which then relays that data and live
audio through the cloud to your connected smart device.
• Another use of the IoT is in the tracking of our movements. Using
your smartphone’s range of
have a well equipped Internet of Things device in your pocket that
can automatically monitor your movements,location,and workouts
throughout the day.
Some more examples......
• Monitoring of parking spaces availability in the city
• Monitoring of vibrations and material conditions in
buildings,bridges and historical monuments.
• Real time monitoring of the noise level
• Detect iPhone and Android devices and in general any
device which works with WiFi or Bluetooth interfaces.
• Measurement of the energy radiated by the cell stations
and Wifi routers.
• Monitoring of vehicles and pedestrian levels to optimize
driving and walking routes.
• Intelligent and weather adaptive lighting in street lights.
• IOT has the potential of expansion in case of the military
domain wherein the soldiers in remote conditions need a
continuous access to the world and carrying gadgets at a
particular location is not possible.
• Another is for the safety of women wherein small devices
like pen clips bracelets etc can get them access to the rest
of the world and thet can be tracked down easily for their
• IOT can also experience a significant growth in the field of
security,safety and even for navigation or other scientific
and astronomical purposes because small embedded chips
can connect them along with higher speed.
What i would like to do?
• My area of interest in research is sensors, data
mining and computer networks.
• This is because the sensors would sense the
motion etc and data mining would aid in
collecting data and the computer networks will
lead us connected to the entire internet.
• Given the opportunity and internship to work in
this area i would like to divert my knowledge
towards it in developing and enhancing the
methods and protocols for better speed and
“In the next century, planet earth will don an
It will use the Internet as a scaffold to support and
transmit its sensations.”