Using moodle for medical education delivery to physicians - Gabriel Gurley
Using Moodle for Medical
Education Delivery to Physicians
Syracuse, New York USA
• Using Moodle for Continuing Medical
• Using Moodle for Online Certification Delivery.
• Moodle as a communications tool for the
entire hospital medical staff.
About Crouse Hospital
• Located in Syracuse, New York
• Founded in 1887 as the Syracuse Women’s
Hospital by a group of community-minded
• Today, it is a 500-bed acute care hospital
USING MOODLE FOR CONTINUING
Crouse Educational Services
• Crouse Educational Services provides in-house
education to medical staff within the hospital.
• Services include Continuing Medical Education
(CMEs) to Crouse physicians at no cost.
• In 2013, 93 CME courses were offered
covering a wide range of topics, for a total of
191 instructional hours.
How CMEs Are Currently Administered
• Up to this point, CMEs were offered via in-
• Attendance is logged via a sign-in sheet.
• Certificates are created using a template,
printed and mailed to the physician.
Moodle is transforming Crouse’s
Continuing Medical Education Program
How Moodle is Improving the CME
• Moodle logging all attendance records for
• Physicians can login anytime to view their
• Using the Certificate add-on, Moodle can
produce physician certificates for CME credit
• Provide Online CMEs via Moodle and Panopto.
USING MOODLE FOR ONLINE
Online Certification Delivery
• In contrast to CMEs, certifications last only for
a specific period of time. Medical Staff have
to get re-certified when the certification
• Prior to deploying Moodle, certifications were
handled exclusively face-to-face or by mail.
• Quizzes are administered via pen and paper,
and graded by Educational Services staff.
• Badges pilot program for CMEs to begin later
• Amy McQuigge, Empire State College,
providing information and guidance for the
• Ultimate goal is to issue badges to physicians
completing CMEs and certifications.
• The Medical Staff Gateway Team, including:
• Dr. Mitchell “Mickey” Lebowitz, Senior
Medical Quality Director
• Jackie DeCecco, Continuing Medical Education
• Annie Agrasto, Director of Medical Staff
• Crouse Medical Executive Committee
• Crouse Health Foundation
• Everyone at Crouse for being “Simply The
• Empire State College for their cooperation and
assistance with the upcoming badges pilot, as
well as for their excellent educational
• Amy McQuigge
• Eileen O’Connor
• Susan Forbes
• Diane Gal
All of the developers, contributors, volunteers
and educators that make Moodle a great
Learning Management System.