Contemporary Indian Education, Gender & Society.
• Education &Social Change.
Role & Limitation of Education in Social Change.
Created By: Monika Tayade
Thursday, October 14, 2021 1
Role & Limitations of Education in Social
Before independence India remained backward &
As compare to other country.
Free India follow Constitution.
All citizens enjoy full freedom irrespective of color,
Thursday, October 14, 2021 B.Ed. 2
There are laws against untouchability or any other
kind of social or economic discrimination.
Government enacted laws to promote widow
marriage, against dowry system.
Thursday, October 14, 2021 B.Ed. 3
Role of Education
There is provision of universal, free & compulsory
Varied educational facilities are provided to
Adult education is being focused.
Thursday, October 14, 2021 B.Ed. 4
1. Imparts knowledge
• Increase individual
• Increase area & scope of
• It opens investigations &
• It brings about changes in
material & non-material
2. Protects eternal values
In spite of social
protects eternal (moral
& spiritual in nature)
People in general
keeps faith in these
& promotes these
Thursday, October 14, 2021 B.Ed. 5
3. Helps to analyze
• It gives knowledge to
people about good &
• E.g.: Women
4. Promotes capacity to
welcome & accept
• It prepares mentality of
• To welcome &adopt
• It make people aware
about its utility &
Thursday, October 14, 2021 B.Ed. 6
5. Evaluation of social
• Society is under
• Education lays down
required standards &
criteria of values.
• Desirable social changes
• Undesirable are discarded
6. Aids the coming of new
• It strives to banish social
• Blind customs & traditions.
• It conduct various social
reformation projects, social
• E.g.: child marriage,
Thursday, October 14, 2021 B.Ed. 7
7. Transmission of
• Transmits national culture.
• Lends stability and
continuity to society.
• Education is conservative,
and creative force.
8. Promotes unity & total
• It tries to solve conflicts
between various groups
and sections of the
• It advocate feeling of unity
• Educating people about
caste rivalry, communal
feuds, linguistic conflicts
and regional discords.
Thursday, October 14, 2021 B.Ed. 8
9. Maintain human and
• Maintain human relation in
time of social laxity,
disunity & discord among
• Consolidate & maintain
10. Education of social
• Promotes knowledge &
• If understanding is
developed people readily
accepts the social
• Helps to eliminate
recreational complexes of
• E.g.: Family planning,
Thursday, October 14, 2021 B.Ed. 9
11. Leadership role of
• Guide people for social
• Make people capable to
initiate social change.
• Make people aware of
their own true potential.
• Promotes social welfare.
• Prepares people for
12. Removal of obstacles.
• Informs people about
importance of social
• Tries to remove mental
reservations & complexes.
Thursday, October 14, 2021 B.Ed. 10
13. Improves standard of
• Raises standard of living.
• Increases working
• Leads to more production
• When standard of living
improves social change
takes place automatically.
14. Democratic values.
• Education counsels
student that freedom does
not mean they should
follow the wrong path.
• Democratic values like,
Thursday, October 14, 2021 B.Ed. 11
Role of School in Social Change
• 1. Relation with social order:
• The size, form, nature & organizational set up
of school depends upon social order.
• School tries to realize aims, ideals, values &
traditions of social order.
• School conforms to needs & values of society.
• School is bound to reflect changes that occur in
society from time to time.
Thursday, October 14, 2021 B.Ed. 12
2. Influence of National Policy
• School cooperates whole heartedly in satisfying
the needs and aspirations of the nation.
• E.g.: Our national need is to increase
production of goods.
• So schools are imparting scientific &
Thursday, October 14, 2021 B.Ed. 13
3. Simplification of social & cultural
• Social &culture pattern varies in Indian society.
• A school tries to simplify & categorize these
various and complex patterns.
• Preserves the social &cultural pattern to use
them for understanding by the children .
Thursday, October 14, 2021 B.Ed. 14
4. Development of capacities &
• Looks at future also.
• Foresee future needs of the society.
• Tries to develop more and more capacities &
efficiencies of individuals.
Thursday, October 14, 2021 B.Ed. 15
5. Meeting the economic needs of the
• Promotes economic efficiency of the
• Individuals achieve their own economic
• Thus it add to the prosperity of the society.
Thursday, October 14, 2021 B.Ed. 16
6. Promoting continuity
• Preserves cultural heritage.
• It transmits the heritage from one generation to
• Thus there is continuity.
Thursday, October 14, 2021 B.Ed. 17
7. Contact with wide environment.
• Environment is wide.
• As compare to family or neighborhood.
• School provides with diverse activities,
programs & experiences.
Thursday, October 14, 2021 B.Ed. 18
8. Glorious future
• School tries to plan very bright and glorious
• Preserves the glories of the past.
• Also tries to make society achieve greater and
greater heights of glory and fame.
Thursday, October 14, 2021 B.Ed. 19
Role of Teacher in
Related as body & soul.
Teacher can initiate & promote social change.
Only when she knows well the need of the society.
Thursday, October 14, 2021 B.Ed. 20
• Role of Teacher in Social change.
• Explain the role of teacher in social change.
Thursday, October 14, 2021 B.Ed. 21