• Founded by Ho Kwon Ping
(Travel enthusiast and former journalist)
• Ho spent 15 years managing the family
business (Food products, consumer
electronics and property development)
• Lost due to low-cost.
• Decided to build a strong brand to have
a competitive advantage.
• Enter in the business of luxury resorts.
• Inspired by the gap in the hotel industry which was
not being filled by the giant chains -
(Hilton and Shangrila)
• Founded Banyan Tree, the luxury resort chain in 1995.
• Started with a solitary hotel resort in Thailand, with the
concept of pool villas and tropical spas.
• Expanded into luxury chain resort, spas and retailing galleries
across Singapore, Bangkok, Shanghai, Bangalore, Sydney and
Seychelles. 20 resorts and hotels, 60 spas, 70 retail galleries,
and 3 golf courses.
• Banyan tree resorts comprised individual villas that came with a privatepool, jacuzzi, or spa
treatment room, each designed to offer guests exclusivity and utmost privacy.
• Banyan tree resorts were designed to provide a sense of place to enhance and reflect the
culture and heritage of the destination.
• The resorts was surrounded by modest tropical forest to provide utmost privacy.
• Rich local flavor and luxurious touch to the Banyan Tree villas.
• Unique Wedding packages where the couples were blessed by Budhist monks.
• Underwater wedding ceremonies among corals in Maldives.
• Service standards were determined in terms of customer satisfaction.
• Banyan tree spa offerings with a Varity of aromatic oil message and face and beauty
treatments using traditional Asian therapist, with a choice of indoors or outdoors treatment.
• Banyan tree gallery at each resort to associate the customer with culture and heritage.
Laying the Foundation
• Started sports shoe factory in early 1990s.
• Manufactured make-to-order shoes.
• It was a joint venture with a Japanese partner
• Shut down operations due to competition
which was a low cost strategy.
• Threat of low cost competitors from China.
• New technological invention.
• Consumer brand building.
• Trademark Thai village architecture with high
peak thatched roofs.
• Perfect blend with the natural and cultural
• 175 luxuriously appointed villas fringing a
saltwater lagoon and the sandy beaches of Bang
• King-sized bed, spacious bedroom, his and her
dressing areas, an open-air sunken bath and a
private landscaped garden compliment each villa
Restaurants & Bars
Award-Winning Thai Cuisine
Watercourt and Sala Terrace
International/Asian buffet and a-la-carte Dining
Contemporary Café Cuisine
Lobby Bar & Wine Rack
Light Lunches and after dinner Cocktails
32 Deluxe Villas.
58 Pool Villas.
14 Spa Pool Villas.
11 Sanctuary Villas.
13 Two Bedroom Pool Villas.
22 Deluxe Two Bedroom Poll Villas.
13 Double Pool Villas.
11 Two Bedroom Double Pool Villas.
1 Three Bedroom Double Pool Villa.
• Top 25 Asia Resorts
Conde Nast Traveler Gold List 2009
• Best Hotel in Thailand
Golden Meridian Russian Travel Award 2008
• Best Overseas Resort
Luxury Travel & Style Magazine Gold List 2007
• Gold List: World's Best Places to Stay
Conde Nast Traveller US Gold List 2006
Banyan Tree Phuket – Snapshots
• Situated at Bang Tao Bay, Banyan Tree Phuket is only 20 minutes away from Phuket
• Sun-kissed beaches of glistening sand, coconut groves and pristine azure waters make up
this Pearl of the Andaman.
• Encircling the sparking waters of saltwater lagoon, Banyan Tree Phuket is an oasis of
peace and tranquility located just a heartbeat away from the vibrant city centre.
Banyan Tree Phuket – A unique location
Accommodation - Spa Pool Villa
Pool Size:3.5 x9meters
Luxury hotels and resorts
Asian architecture blended with natural surroundings-
Added similar resorts in Binton (Indonesia), Maldives,
Seychelles and a multistoried hotel with 61 floors in
Banyan Tree Bangkok was taken over from Westin
Hotels and Resorts.
$3 million was invested to turn into the tallest hotel in
Diversification of the business
Integral parts of the resorts to independent
Spas and retailing galleries in other luxury
hotels and also as stand alone shops.
Oasis in Bangalore, Elements in Sydney.
Art shops in luxury hotel chains like the one in
Oberoi Hotels in India.
• Banyan tree introduce its 1st
luxury spa in Asia at Phuket.
• This was the 1st to introduce to the
world the concept of “Tropical Garden
• Their main focus on spiritual, mental
and physical harmony by combining
ancient Asian health and beauty
• The concept was success with the
spa-goers as they provided a change
from the Western and European
• After the early success in phuket,
Banyan tree opened new spas in
• Every spa was designed using
indigenous material to portray
local culture and heritage.
• Imitating the local architecture,
the land and its flora and blended
with the natural landscape.
• Banyan tree had been working with village
cooperatives non profit marketing agents in
• They sold handmade fabrics, garments ,
jewellery, handicrafts and leisure wear
• Across the world they had 40 galleries with 11
in thailand alone.
• “HO” said aside from revenue of new meuseum shop have
potential to reinforce our brand with culture and heritage.
• Our brand values of empowering and revitalising local
communities through craftwork.
• And enhance them what others have loosely called ‘the
Banyan tree lifestyle’.
• In 1990s , Banyan tree launched its low –cost brand ,
‘Angsana’, whose services were 40% cheaper.
Introducing spa services in hotels
Opened In 1999 in Dusit Laguna
Low cost brand
Services 40% cheaper
ANGSANA SPA – RESORT SPAS
Angsana Spa Morocco Angsana Spa Luang Prabang
Angsana Spa Sankara Nairobi Malaysia
Angsana Spa Vineyard Hotel Angsana Spa Kuala Lumpur
Angsana Spa Great Barrier Reef Angsana Spa Ihuru
China Angsana Spa Velavaru
Angsana Spa Fuxian Lake Mauritius
Angsana Spa Gyalthang Dzong Angsana Spa Balaclava
Angsana Spa Narada Resort & Spa Portugal
Egypt Angsana Spa Tivoli Marina Vilamoura
Angsana Spa Movenpick Resort El-Gouna Qatar
Angsana Spa Steigenberger Angsana Spa Wyndham Grand Regency Doha
Angsana Spa Sheraton Laguna Guam Angsana Spa Caesar Park Kenting
Angsana Oasis Spa & Resort Bangalore Angsana Spa Allamanda Laguna Phuket
Angsana Spa Sheraton Bangalore at Brigade Gateway Angsana Spa Dusit Thani Laguna Phuket
Angsana Spa Golkonda Resorts Hyderabad Angsana Spa Laguna Beach Resort
Indonesia Angsana Spa Laguna Phuket
Angsana Spa Bintan
Angsana Resort & Spas
ANGSANA SPA – DAY SPAS
Angsana Spa The Garden Hotel Guangzhou
Angsana Spa Hotel Nikko Shanghai
Angsana Spa Arabian Ranches
Angsana Spa Emirates Hills
Angsana Spa & Health Club Dubai Marina
Angsana Spa The Montgomerie
Angsana Spa Park Island
Angsana Spa Hotel ICON
Angsana Oasis Spa Prestige Ozone Bangalore
Angsana Oasis Spa UB City Bangalore
Angsana Spa ANA Crowne Plaza Kobe
Angsana Spa Nusajaya
Angsana City Club & Spa Crescat City
Angsana Resort & Day Spas
24hr room service airport transfer babysitting
bar/pub bicycle rental business center
casino coffee shop concierge
disabled facilities elevator executive floor
family room laundry service/dry cleaning meeting facilities
nightclub pets allowed poolside bar
restaurant room service safety deposit boxes
salon shops shuttle service
smoking area tours Wi-Fi in public areas
Sports and Recreation
fitness center games room garden
golf course (on site) golf course (within 3 km) hot spring bath
indoor pool jacuzzi kids club
massage outdoor pool pool (kids)
private beach sauna spa
squash courts steamroom tennis courts
water sports (motorized) water sports (non-motorized)
Internet in Rooms
internet access – LAN internet access – LAN (charges apply) internet access – LAN
internet access – wireless internet access – wireless (charges
internet access – wireless
Angsana hotel features
• Central theme: “the romance of travel and
the beauty of discovering the world”.
• Banyan Tree targeted the higher end of the
luxury resorts market.
• Angsana was more mainstream and
contemporary, targeting the wider market.
• The Colours of Angsana range of boutique
hotels catered specifically to the soft
adventure tourism segment.
• Planned to make banyan tree a global resort in china.
• Resorts were scheduled to open in morocco & New Zealand
• Angsana resorts & spa planned to launch a small boutique
hotel under the name colors of angsana.
• Three hotels were scheduled to open by 2004 in srilanka ,
Laos & China.
• By 2013 , Group Expects double its Property with 22 in asia
Pacific , 18 in China & 16 in EMEA & Americas.
• By 2040, Company aiming to open 10 properties in india as
part of their India market thrust.
Core value: good place to stay, private areas
• Actual value: beautiful views, modern and luxury equipments, large areas,
• Augmented product: high quality of serving, customized serve, romantic
atmospheres, fresh air
– Training: customized outdoor team-buildings.
– Rooms for rent: Private pavilion, Villa home.
– Organizing honey moon for couples.
– Travel tours.
Brand strategies :
– Line extension
• Build more resorts in other
– New brand
• Angsana Resort and Spa.
– Kerala – India
– Beijing – China
– Macau – China
– Riverside – China
– Hue – Vietnam
– Dinaran – Philippines
– Alqueva – Portugal
– Sifah – Oman
– 6 location in China
– Costa Navarina – Greece
– Tamouda Bay – Morocco
– Goa – India.
• Central Plaza Hotel Public Company Limited - Bangkok, Thailand.
Established in 1980 and is owned by the Central Group, an owner,
developer, and operator of mixed retail and department stores and trading
businesses throughout Thailand.
• Club Méditerranée - Paris, France.
Founded in 1949 by Olympic medalist Gérard Blitz (a former Belgian water
polo champion) and French businessman Gilbert Trigano.
• Four Seasons Holdings Inc. - Toronto, ON.
In 2007 Four Seasons Hotels board members took the company private in
a deal worth nearly $4 billion. Microsoft founder Bill Gates (through his
private holding company Cascade Investment) and Saudi Prince Al waleed
Bin Talal's Kingdom Hotels together own 95% of the company, in equal
shares. Company founder and chairman Isadore Sharp owns the rest.
“Commitment to sustainable tourism
GPS Development Services, which provides
development and technical expertise, signed a
memorandum of understanding with EC3
• Project planning,
• Green technical
• Engaged destination
• Building and
• Community and
• Reinforces our commitment to engage
stakeholders of all levels within the
• Deliver sustainable solutions regardless of the
project's scale or the level of local regulatory
infrastructure supporting sustainable
A stone skips lightly across the water, sending gentle
ripples across its surface… This is not the description of a
moment on holiday, but an evocation of the unobtrusive,
unhurried, unexpected way in which Banyan Tree
continues to expand across this blue planet we all call
For enquiries :
Banyan Tree Hotels & Resorts,
211 Upper Bukit Timah Road,
Singapore – 588182.
Tel: +65 6849 5888.
Fax: +65 6462 2463.