Conflict is an evitable part of personal, organizational and societal life.
Conflict arise due to competitions, differences in values, attitudes, experiences, goals and preceptior
of limited resources i.e. time, raw materials, money, human resources and many more.
For example :-
Pepsi and coke
India and Pakistan for Kashmir
Delhi and Haryana for water
Jio and airtel
Conflict can occurs on interpersonal, groups, intergroup and organizational conflicts in the nature.
“Perfect organizational health is not
from freedom from conflict. On the
contrary, if properly handled, conflicts
can lead to more effective and
Professor Kelly (1970)
Conflict as a process where one party
perceives that another party adversely
affected or has tried to affect adversely
something that the first party values
Functional Conflict Dysfunctional Conflict
• It’s healthy disagreement • It’s unhealthy disagreement.
• People primarily differ on ideas or
• People primarily differ in believes
• People are open minded they
joint exploration on ideas or
principles, new awareness.
• It involves anger, frustration,
hostility and antagonism among
• Lead to innovation and creativity,
thus open possibility for high
performance and organizational
• Conflict engage in win-lose or
Managers find it difficult to identify whether
a conflict is functional or dysfunctional
So, what to do?
DL NELSON and JC Quick (2000) suggest using
following questions to diagnose as to whether a
conflict is functional and dysfunctional:
• Are the parties to conflict hostile to each other?
• Is the outcome likely to be negative one for the
• Do the potential losses of the parties exceed
any potential gains?
• Is energy diverted from goal accomplishment?
Another situation when you as a manger
would like to stimulate conflict is when group
is in the process of groupthink and is not
willing to examine various alternatives and its
creativity has gone down.
HAIMAN CONFLICT MODEL
Conflict has rational, ideational or
Conflict has psychological and
Resolving requires analytical
approach and skills.
Resolving requires social tact
Conflict have rational,
task or goal oriented,
Conflict are related to
Guetzko and Gyr
• Task related conflicts
• Socio-emotional or interpersonal relations issues
Morton and Deutsch suggested