Present status of Indian farmer….
• The alarming situation of
farmers is mainly related to
fall into debt because have to
face a scarce crop productivity
which increase the risk of their
profit and high cost of life.
• This creates a vicious cycle and
most of time farmer suffer from
mental distress, often they might
see the suicide as the only
solution for the families.
Present status of Indian farmers…..
It is estimated that more than a quarter of million
Indian farmer have committed suicide in last 16 years-
the largest wave of recorded suicide in human history.
• In 2009 alone, the most recent year for which official
figures are available,17638 farmers committed
suicide that is one farmer every 30 minutes, a great
number of those affected are cash crop farmers.
Challenges before Indian Agriculture…..
1960 1970 1980 1990 2000
Average size of holding
(Small farms holdings)
Increase Income (Low Cost
• Agriculture sector is the mainstay in Indian economy,
contribution about 15% of national GDP.
• More importantly more than 50% of population is wholly or
partially depend on agriculture and allied activities for their
• So, development in agriculture will help in upliftment of
farmers but also benefit the large section of rural people
who are directly or indirectly engaged in agriculture sector.
• Empowerment of the small and marginal farmer will ensure
a better, efficient and strengthened Indian agriculture.
2. Principles of HDP.
4. Varieties and spacing.
5. Comparisons between traditional $ HDP.
6. Advantages of HDP.
8. Economic analysis.
9. Case study.
What is High density planting(HDP) ?
• A planting density in excess of that which gives
maximum crop yield at maturity if the individual tree
grows to its full natural size.
• In other words, it the planting of more number of plant
than optimum through manipulation of tree size.
High deNsity planting in banana
• HDP in Banana is a practice
to accommodate 4444 to
5555 plants per ha.and
yield of plant is recorded to
be in order of 80-120 tones
per ha. Depends on variety.
Why HDP in Banana is main aim…
• Planting season is all over the year except for seviour winter
and hot summer.
• It provide year round avaibility provide a permanent source
of income not only to the farmer but also to the trader and
• It provide basis for nutritional security,and economic
Principle of hdp…
•To make the best use of horizontal and
vertical space per unit time.
•To harness maximum possible returns
per unit of input of resources.
• In HDP banana are made rows are made at a distance of
3m and pits of 50cm*50 cm*50 cm are taken at a spacing of
2m in each row.
• The pit are to be refilled with top soil mixed with FYM
,prepared pit are left open for solar radiation to kill all the
insect and soil born diseases.
• Then sucker are planted at each pit at a spacing of 30-45
cm,perpendicular to direction of rows.
Advantages of hdp
I. Increase yield and improve fruit quality.
II. Reduce labour cost resulting in low cost of production.
III.Enable machanisation of fruit crop production.
IV.Facilitate more efficient use of fertilizer,water,solar
radiation,fungicides,weedicides and pesticides.
V. Accommodation of more number of plant /area.
VI.Prevent lodging problem.
limitations of hdp…
Lack of promising dwarf variety.
High initial establishment cost.
Lack of stadenderisation of production technology
and extension of technical-knowledge,how to the
High incidence of some disease incidence.eg-
Sigatoka leaf spot,finger tip in banana etc.
Difference between Traditional and HDP method
Sl.no Attributes Traditional HDP
1. Number of plants Few large
2. Yield Lower(40-
3. Management Difficult Easy
4. Labour need More Less
5. Production cost Higher Lower
Comparision between HDP and
traditional method of planting.
• Total exp=1,20,420+18,00(30%
extra pitting)+4000(15% extra
• Total income=6,000*30=1,80,000
• Net return=1,80,000-
1,26,000=54,000 per acre=135,000
• Tamilnadu ranks first in area
and production of banana
but in there is limitation of
banana cultivation due to
• But some farmer adopted
HDP ,they grow banana on
minimum one ha of land and
are fully satisfied with the
profit they make.
• Banana is one of the foremost cash crop,grown in all over
the country because of high adaptability,its cultivation is
highly beneficial for all types of farmer.
• Provide regular income throughout the year.
• HDP in banana increases not only the production but
reduces cost of production also,so it is one of the best
approach to increase to farmers income.