COMNET III Tutorial
Dr. Mohammed Hussein Al-Hubaishi
Faculty of Science and Technology
- By Mohammed Hussein Thamar University 1
The COMNET III is an application that was written in
the programming language MODSIM II using an
COMNET III uses a discrete event simulation
methodology when running the simulation of a network
- By Mohammed Hussein 4Thamar University
- By Mohammed Hussein 5Thamar University
Nodes in COMNETIII
• Node represents a single network node (i.e.
workstation) in the model.
• Nodes can even have processing capabilities,
memory and hard disc storage assigned to
• Nodes in this model are only sending,
forwarding, and replying to messages.
Thamar University 6- By Mohammed Hussein
Network Links in COMNETIII
• Icon represent links in the networks.
• The properties of this link let you select the
type of the network among several standards,
such as Ethernet or wireless link, etc.
• One or several message-sources are attached to
a node and thereby define the set of messages
a node sends, replies to, or forwards.
Thamar University 7- By Mohammed Hussein
- By Mohammed Hussein 8Thamar University
- By Mohammed Hussein 9Thamar University
Messages in COMNET III
• If a node should also respond to a message
sent to it, should be scheduled by set to
Received message. That enables the Edit
button next to it, which allows the selection of
• Usually there is a single destination of the
message entered in the Edit Destination List
dialog, but multiple destinations and ways to
choose one of them can be specified .
Thamar University 10- By Mohammed Hussein
- By Mohammed Hussein 11Thamar University
Node Sends a Message
Thamar University 12- By Mohammed Hussein
Node Receives Or Responses a Message
Thamar University 13- By Mohammed Hussein
Messages Reports in COMNET
• Various reports can be requested via the
statistics button; such as the Contention
Channel Utilization, Delay, etc.
• For example to measure the delay of a
particular message, a report of this statistics
can be requested and after execution the report
can be viewed via the statistics dialog.
Thamar University 14- By Mohammed Hussein
- By Mohammed Hussein 15Thamar University
- By Mohammed Hussein 16Thamar University
Reports, Trace Files and Diagrams in COMNET III
Thamar University 17- By Mohammed Hussein
- By Mohammed Hussein 18Thamar University
- By Mohammed Hussein Thamar University 19
- By Mohammed Hussein Thamar University 20
- By Mohammed Hussein Thamar University 21