1. Intro Mendeley
2. Create an account
3. Download reference manager
4. Install plug in and web importer
5. Creating library
6. Citations and bibliography
• Mendeley is a reference manager software used to generate citations
in Microsoft Word.
• It is an academic social network that helps researchers to organize,
share and discover research papers.
• Used to systematically insert citations and references in any chosen
style while writing manuscripts.
Create an account
1. Open www.mendeley.com and create an account.
2. Download the Desktop app to your computer.
3. From the Tools menu, select Install Mendeley Cite for Word.
4. Install the Mendeley Web Importer, also from the Tools menu, in
all web browsers that you use.
• The library window is divided into 2 panels.
On the left are your collections including “All References” (everything in your
library), any collections that you create to organize your library, & any private groups that you
The main panel contains a list of your references. If a file is attached to a record in
your library, an icon will be visible or a check mark will show that a PDF is available.
To see the Information for a reference, highlight it & a new panel appears on the right.
Adding References to Your Library
1. Drag & Drop a PDF: Just drag a PDF from your desktop, share space, or USB drive into your
library. Mendeley then extracts the metadata (author, title, journal name, etc.) to create a library
record. If there is missing information, use the DOI (you can find this on the PDF or on the journal
website) to correct the record.
2. Add files: Click the +Add New button & select File(s) from computer. Browse to find the file(s),
click Open, & the files are uploaded to your library. As you can see, you can also choose the Add
Manual Entry option to add the metadata for a reference by hand.
3. DOIs: There are a variety of catalog numbers that you can add to an item
record (ArXiv ID, DOI, or PubMed [PMID])
4. Web Importer: The Web Importer extension lets you add citations from
databases & from websites (this includes whole websites themselves).
1. Deleting References
2. Attaching a File to an Existing Citation Record
3. Create Collections to Organize Your Library
4. Reading, Highlighting, & Annotating PDFs
Inserting & Formatting Citations &
• Download the Cite add-in. On the Reference tab in Word, Mendeley Cite is on the right.
1. In your Word document, place your cursor exactly where you want the citation.
2. Click the Mendeley Cite icon in the upper right, & sign in to your Mendeley account. The Mendeley
Cite panel opens on the right.
3. Search for a reference in your library through the Mendeley Cite Search box, then one or more
references using the check box.
4. When you're done, click the Insert button.
Change a Citation Style
You can change the output style by
using the Citation Style tab.
At the bottom of this tab is a link -
Select another style . . . - that takes
you to a search page to find the
style you need.
Create a Bibliography
• You can add a bibliography to your Word document whenever you like. When you’re ready.
1. Choose a style from the Citation Style tab.
2. Place your cursor where you want the bibliography to appear, then from the More tab, click