• Annotating: the act of creating associations between
distinct pieces of information...
• An annotation is considered to be a set of connected
resources, typically including a body and target, and
conveys that the body is related to the target.
W3C Open Annotation Data Model
• Create media-rich annotations within a media object (text,
image, audio, video, Maps, Spatial, DB) by selecting an
area, segment or entire object and having the ability to
cross-reference it through persistent URI to other
annotated media resources.
• Annotations through persistent URI.
• Search annotations within the framework database through
a keyword, a search term or predefined ontological terms
• Import and export sets of annotations in standardized
interchangeable (machine readable) data formats (RDF).
< Annotation Body >
simple (textual note, a
marker) complex combination
of multiple media items
< Annotation Metadata >
Profile, Location, etc.