• Building Lot 2400 sq. ft.
• Prevailing Price 4000/sq.
• Utility status (electricity,
• Square footage costs
Set up accounts with two different lumber companies. Also set
up accounts with one of the following: concrete supplier,
electrical supplier, plumbing and mechanical supplier
company reserve Location ECR
Area 2500 sq.ft
1339.396cost per sq ft
water and sewerage permission
completion certficate cost
Total legal charges
Total labour cost
paninting and interior contract
• Property and
• Credit Unions
• Mortgage brokers
• Private financing
• Advance from Customer
Why a Villa in ECR?
• Proximity to elementary, middle and high schools, religious institutions,
shopping and business districts etc.
• Houses that are priced near the median range in ECR will sell easier and
• Distance to railroads, land fills, toxic storage sites and fuel storage sites.
• Proper electrical power lines located/near the property
• No easements which restrict the placement of the house on the property,
or affect property rights.
• Good neighbourhood association
• Distance from busy streets, highways, freeways, etc.
• Good soil conditions
• Plan books
• Home designer
• Architect- Mr.
• A building permit is written authorization granted
by the building department to build a structure.
• The permit allows the holder to build in
accordance with the construction documents
submitted to obtain the permit.
• Each jurisdiction has different documentation
requirement for obtaining a permit. Check with
your local building department before you begin
APPROVALS FOR NEW HOUSE BUILDING FROM
• Planning Permission from Chennai Metropolitan Development
• Affidavit Land Documents.
• Building Permission from Chennai Municipal Corporation.
• Applying for Permanent Electricity Connection to Tamilnadu State
• Application for permanent Water and Sewerage connection to
Chennai Municipal Water supply and Sewerage Board(CMWSSB).
• No Objection Certificate from Tamilnadu Fire and Rescue Department
• Completion Certificate from Chennai Metropolitan Development
PLANNING PERMISSION FROM CMDA
• As per Development Control Rules
Fill form-A and Form-B
• Contains Detail Plan, layouts,
• Scrutinize the House Plan with
Get Green Signal to Build House !!!!!
Approx. cost : INR 4500
BUILDING PERMISSION FROM CMC, TN
• Furnish detail plan with licensed surveyor.
• Attach Key map of location, Affidavit, Registered sale deed
• Pay the Building Permit Fee as per building area, scrutiny fee and
• i.e. Build up area> 200 sq.mt., building fee will be INR 460 per
• Total fee : Approx. : INR 151,000
Electricity permission from TNSEB
• Fill form-1 from section office Chennai.
• Comply with house documents and necessary power
requirement , pay fees get electricity connection.
• Fee: INR 42000
• Duration : Max. 45 days
Water and sewerage connection from
Fill water and sewerage connection
form to Chennai Metropolitan water
supply and sewerage Board.
Pay connection charges to CMWSSB
office with sanctioned plan .
Fee: INR 45000
Duration : Max 45 Days
Completion certificate from CMDA
After completing all building
activity, get completion
certificate from CMDA.
Fee: INR 2500
Duration : Max 15 days
• Find a sub contractor that has
been recommended by a
builder or a friend familiar
with their work.
• Meet with the sub to get an
impression of them and their
• Inspect at least two examples
of their current work.
• Get a list of the last three jobs
they have completed. Talk with
the owner or builder of those
• Invitation to Bid
(includes a scope of
schedule and bidding
• The plans
• Sample contract
• The specifications
Human Resource Planning
agreement, or owner-
• Description of materials
• Engineering calculations
• Change orders
• Any addendum or
or clauses that are added
to the above documents.
ORGANIZATION STRUCTURE OF CONSTRUCTION
DESIGNATION NO.OF EMPLOYEE SALARY / DAY Rs
SUPERVISOR (BUILDING) 1 400
LABOUR(BUILDING) 10 300 (3000)
(SUPERVISOR (ELECTRICAL) 1 400
LABOUR (ELECTRICAL) 5 300 (1500)
SUPERVISOR(PLUMBING) 1 400
LABOUR (PLUMBING) 5 300 (1500)
SUPERVISOR (PAINTING) 1 400
LABOUR (PAINTING) 5 300 (1500)
CONTRACT EMPLOYEES SALARY
Note: If any employee works over time add extra 30Rs /hour
• Eye and Face Protection
• Safety glasses or face shields are worn anytime work
operations can cause foreign objects getting into the eye
such as during welding, cutting, grinding, nailing (or when
working with concrete and/or harmful chemicals or when
exposed to flying particles).
• Eye and face protectors are selected based on anticipated
• Safety glasses or face shields are worn when exposed to any
electrical hazards including work on energized electrical
• Foot Protection
• Construction workers should wear work shoes or boots with
slip-resistant and puncture-resistant soles.
• Safety-toed footwear is worn to prevent crushed toes when
working around heavy equipment or falling objects.
• Hand Protection
• Gloves should fit snugly.
• Workers wear the right gloves for the job (for example, heavy-
duty rubber gloves for concrete work, welding gloves for
welding, insulated gloves and sleeves when exposed to
• Head Protection
• Workers shall wear hard hats where there is a
potential for objects falling from above, bumps to
their heads from fixed objects, or of accidental head
contact with electrical hazards.
• Hard hats are routinely inspected for dents, cracks or
• Hard hats are replaced after a heavy blow or
• Hard hats are maintained in good condition.
• Stem Wall Slab
Sub rough Plumbing
• Radiant floor
• Damp proofing
• Vapour barriers
Water & Sewer Laterals
• Modern Sewer lateral
is pipe is made from
plastic pipe, either ABS
or PVC. Traditionally
sewer lateral was
made from clay, cast
iron, concrete, or tar
Foundation Drain, Backfill & Rough
• Foundation drain
• Backfill around the
• Fill the basement
• Rough grade
Pouring the slab
• Before the concrete truck arrives the level
of the slab is marked on the side of the
foundation walls with a chalk line. Screed
boards are placed in the middle of the floor
at the same height to ensure that the slab
is level. The concrete is then poured,
leveled and finished.
• Care must be taken not to drive the
concrete truck too close to the foundation
and especially not on top of the backfill
that was recently placed against the
foundation walls. Many foundations have
been cracked, bowed or have collapsed due
to the pressure of concrete trucks, bull
dozers, and excavators.
• If hiring a contractor for flatwork, check
previous work for flatness and smoothness.
• Framing is one of the most exciting
phases of the construction process.
During the framing phase you will
watch the house take shape. Most
people get very excited when the
framing is done, thinking that the
house is almost built. In reality, the
house is only about one-third
• The framing must be accurate
• If the framing is poor quality, the
drywall won't be flat, the floors will
squeak, and doors will not close
• The job of the general contractor is
to make sure the framers follow the
plans and the building code.
• The roof is formed with pre-
manufactured trusses or stick-built
• The city inspector will usually
request the truss engineering
calculation during the framing
• The time it takes to frame your
house will depend on the size,
complexity, and weather
City Framing Inspection
• The city will require a framing inspection. The inspector will check that the building codes are followed
• Side lights
• DWV and Supply
• Placement and
• Materials used on the job, i.e.
type and colour of switches, and
outlets. Size and models of
breaker panel, breakers and
• Location of service panel,
breaker panel and sub panels.
• Types, Colours and brand name
of All light fixtures
• Verify placement of switch
boxes, fixture boxes, appliances
leads, breaker panel, service
panel with the blueprints.
• Verify materials and equipment
with spec sheet.
• Insulation is required in all
external walls to prevent heat
loss in winter or heat gain in
• Type of the insulation to be
• Sealing crack and
penetrations in walls around
windows and doors.
• Sealing penetrations through
top and bottom plates
around pipes wires and
• Drywall, also known as
Sheetrock™ or gypsum board
(Sheetrock is a trademark
name of USG), is used to
cover the interior walls of the
• Ceiling finish
• Wall finish
• Type and thickness of Drywall
• The purpose of the three step
taping process is to seal the
joints adding shear strength
to the panels
• hanging interior doors (sometimes
hanging exterior doors and
windows... although framers often
do this depending on the type of
• casing/trimming windows and
• installing baseboard and specialty
moldings such as crown moldings
and chair moldings
• constructing built in shelves in
closets, pantries and alcoves
• installing hand rails, stair rails and
• installing hardwood flooring
• installing stair treads and stair
• Latex (water based) paint is
used for drywall and MDF
board while oil based paints,
stains and finishes are used for
• Single tone paint jobs are
common in low cost tract
• Paint description (brand, grade,
color, sheen, etc.)
• Number of tones and where
they are to be used
• Exterior doors and jambs
should be included in the
interior painting contract if no
exterior painting is required (i.e.
Attic & Crawlspace Insulation
• Venting the Attic: The attic space needs to be
well vented. It usually takes less than a day to
complete an average attic space.
Inexpensive for the cheaper lines, installs
quickly, fairly durable, low maintenance, water
won't damage it. Often used in kitchens, and
baths of tract homes.
Will last a lifetime if cared for, looks fantastic,
many different species and stains available,
can be refinished a different color. Expensive
to install, suceptible to water damage. Fairly
high upkeep cost.
Will last lifetime, good looking, many styles,
sizes colors and textures available, durable,
not affected by water, very low maintenance.
Difficult to remove if you want to change style
Will last a life time, expensive look, durable,
Authenticates wood and stone fairly well,
durable, installs quickly, low maintenance,
inexpensive and one of the easier do-it-
• Hard floor coverings
are installed right
after the painting
has been completed
• Hard flooring is
critical in the
timeline because it
will hold up the
cabinets and finish
plumbing if not
scheduled on time
• There are many different types of roofing. From
traditional shakes, and tile to modern asphalt,
steel, and fibre-cement the choices appear to
Shingle Type Initial cost Long-term cost
styles and colors
3-tab Asphalt Very low Medium/High 20-30 Large
Low Medium 25-40 Large
Very high High 15-30 Small
Steel roof High Low 40-50+ Large
Cement/clay tile High Low 40-50+ Medium
Final Grade &
• Concrete Preparation
• Landscaping Plan
• Gravel Base
• Irrigation & exterior
Soffit & Fascia
Electrical & Gas
• The electrical lateral
service lateral) is the
power wire that
travels from the city
transformer to the
panel of the house
• Brick is virtually maintenance
free. It never needs painting,
caulking or staining.
• Brick will not burn, which can
lower homeowner insurance
• Brick is energy efficient.
• Brick is an effective sound
• Brick homes have market
• Brick homes have a excellent
Intro to Stone
• Stone has been used for thousands
of years as a construction
material. Like brick, stone was
used as a structural wall in
buildings hundreds of years ago.
Today stone is used as a veneer
and carries no structural weight
• Real Versus Cultured Stone
• Real stone looks "real"
• Cultured stone installs quicker
• Some cultured stones look phony
(some types are more "authentic
looking" than others).
• Cultured stone is cheaper.
• Stucco has been used
in architecture for
thousands of years
• It is durable, relative
and offers unlimited
• Two-coat synthetic
• Vinyl, Steel, and
• Wood siding
Home Building Phase 5
• Shower Surrounds and
• Cabinets & Countertops
• Finish Plumbing, HVAC
• Hardware Installation
• Final Inspection
• Punch list & Final
• We should try to Visit the site frequently to check
• We should be available by phone during business
hours as questions always arise.
• We should make frequent inspections and quality
checks during the project.
• We should coordinate the delivery of supplies,
and especially the trusses.
• We should have a dumpster delivered prior to