From BYOD ‘Bring Your Own Device’
to CYOD ‘Choose Your Own Device’
Almost Impossible To Ignore Mobile Devices In The
- More than a decade ago,
owning a mobile phone with
advent of 2G technology
allowed us to send
- Executives had now
reached the zenith of
connectivity by accessing
corporate emails via their
- Today every smart device
like Smartphones, Tablets,
Notebooks are assured of
- Business Applications
includes address book,
scheduler, calculator, along
with email clients.
- An interesting aspect is
enterprise mobility is being
pushed from the consumer
to the enterprise.
The Concept of ‘Bring Your Own Device’
To BYOD or not to BYOD is not the question anymore…
• Using the personal device for office work has become regular, structured and
• Enterprises are beginning to realize that they cannot avoid corporate data
from getting into personal devices.
• Rather than forcing employees into stealth-mode BYOD, it is more important
to encourage it at an official level.
The Concept of ‘Choose Your Own Device’
BYOD Replaced by CYOD ‘Choose Your Own Device’…
• CYOD provide employees with the choice of choosing personal device to the
workplace from the range of IT-approved devices.
• It helps the organization to enforce at least a particular IT-approved level of
security along with the advantage of having users assume some costs of
buying the device.
• it gives the user technology familiarity, has a positive effect on employee
morale, and gives a boost in productivity.
The Advantages Of Allowing Personal Devices
Personal Productivity and
• Employees having 24×7 access to email and other
Office business applications can help increase an
organization’s global reach. It streamlines and speeds
up business services like HR self-help or approvals.
Business Content and
• Employees can drive a higher sale by using their
devices to engage prospects and customers
that enhance the level of customer
Primary Concern of Using a hosted email &
business applications over personal devices…
• The main concern is to
corporate data that is
stored on employee’s
personal devices by
enabling a basic
password or a PIN on
• Personal devices at
workplace could result in
precious work time to
indulge in personal
activities like chatting,
using social media or
exploring other forms of
• Some personal devices
may not meet the
requirements for being
fully compatible with the
• Enterprises have to accept and gear up for this change.
• The IT departments need to start formalizing policies covering acceptable BYOD
• The average office workers now expect the same consumerism that they have
become accustomed to with their personal device, from their office device.
• Engaging the employee will be equally important as engaging the customer.
• Advances in holographic technology, augmented reality (Google Glass),
smartwatches, etc. will lead to the ultimate goal for an organization that allows
employee to be productive.