Podcasting for the classroom and beyond
The world has gone mobile and people are crging out for ﬂexible learning
Why make podcasts?
allows mobile content delivery
learning can occur anywhere anytime
students can listen while on»the-go
interactive content delivery not just passive audio
- great for special needs and international students
Will they stop coming to lectures?
- the reality is some students come to lectures and
- the ones who do will probably also listen to the
podcasts in addition to attending
- the ones who don't will probably listen to the
podcasts because they feel guilty about not attending
- either way they'll probably listen to the podcasts
which is a win - win
- decent sound quality
- limit background noise
- record in a quiet area
- save as a compressed (small) file for
- plan what you want to say
- keep it short and sweet
- speak slowly
- vary your voice
- be aware ofcopyright issues
- don't let it take up too much time
- don't be a perfectionist
What do 1 need?
- a recording device like Ll built in mic on your PC or
- audio editing software like Audacity which is FREE
How do 1 make one?
decide on the purpose ofthe podcast
- is it to instruct. inform, motivate, engage?
- will it be interactive or just listening?
- write a script or make an outline of main points
a keep it simple and to the point
4 record your audio and don't worry about mistakes
4 open your audio file in Audacity and edit errors
- 'normalise' the recorning for better sound quality
4 save as a compressed file
4 export the file as . WAV or . MP3
- upload to UTSonline or somewhere else for easy
- allow comments and discussion about the podcasts
to encourage reflective learning
- students can subscribe to your podcast ‘feed’
- when you add new ones they automatically
download to itunes
- update and reuse each semester as needed
Students can make them too
- for example, (instead ofsubmitting a report) they
could interview an 'expert'
- develops communicationskills
- encourages reflective learning
How to manage podcasts in UTSonline
http: wvw. in1l. nts. cdu. an learntcacli ntsonlinc porlcastslitnil