1. What agencies or groups conduct research in agriculture?2. What are the risks and benefits of agricultural research?3. How does (can) agricultural research affect humans and the environment?4. How does agricultural research use science to produce new technologies?5. What technologies or products have been produced through agricultural research that have improved animal health?
• Identify the four major governmental regulatory agencies• Determine how each agency is involved in agricultural research• Explain one of the four governmental regulatory agencies
• Food & Drug Administration• Developed into 1906 as partof the Pure Food & Drug Act• Approves applications toinvestigate new products• Regulates many areas fromcosmetics to pharmaceuticals
• Environmental ProtectionAgency• Established in 1970• Issues permits for testing ofproducts• Protects human health and theenvironment
• United States Department ofAgriculture• Established in 1862• Reviews research plans for newproducts• The mission is to provideleadership based on soundpublic policy, the best scienceavailable and efficientmanagement
• Food Safety & InspectionService• Established in 1884• Performs random tests toensure that food products arefree of illegal residues• Ensures that products are safeto consume, safely packaged, andcorrectly labeled