Collage of _________ Iconography
Set: Tues Jan 28
Identify ‘things’ in a western
Dusty lonely roads
Cowboys = hats, chaps, spurs,
Horses & saddles
‘shoot off’ between baddie and goodie –
long/mid/close up…..sharing at
• What do you think?
• Iconography is used in film to describe the visual language in films,
focused on genre.
• It’s a simple form to analyse (deconstruct / break down) the aspects
of genre before we even know what things mean.
• It’s the symbolic meaning we attach to images, the connotation
• We expect to see certain objects on screen with certain genres,
they are similar to conventions and are like ‘genre indicators’
Ingredients in your collage:
Setting & staging
Plot/narrative (and/or themes and content)
Key scenes – what happens?
Character MES (costume/props/make up/body language/facial
• Celebrity/actors associated with genre?
• Distinctive camera shots/angles/movement
• Optional: music/sounds (no visuals – just words)
• Can have stills from films in your genre, but doesn’t have to be JUST
1. Who is doing what?
2. find and save images (jpgs)
3. make into 1 full collage (electronic)
4. save this collage as a JPEG
5. in word, type bullet points which summarize your
findings (could be a chart of each ‘ingredient
• 6. Blog
– title: College of ________ iconography
– Picture: attach collage (jpeg)
– Text: copy and paste the bullet points from word