Developing a Coherent Social Strategy for Enterprise Innovation
March 12, 2014
Developing a Coherent Social Strategy
for Enterprise Innovation
Meet the Speakers
Charlene Li, Founder, Altimeter Group
Charlene is a frequently-quoted expert, having appeared on 60
Minutes, The PBS NewsHour, ABC News, and CNN. She is also
frequently quoted by The Wall Street Journal, The New York Times, The
Economist, Businessweek, USA Today, Reuters, and The Associated
Press. Fast Company recognized Charlene as one of the 100 most
creative people in business in 2010 and one of the most influential
women in technology in 2009.
Milnd Pansare, Vice President, Mindjet
Milind Pansare is Vice President at Mindjet. Milind has held product and
marketing leadership roles for over 25 years at Silicon Valley start-ups and
large tech companies and is a product expert on social collaboration and
innovation management technologies. He has served as an advisor to
start-ups and start-up incubators.
• How Social Supports Innovation
• Success Factors of a Coherent Social Strategy
• Connecting Social and Innovation
How Social Supports Innovation
Social '' Innova+on'
Innovate is a Core Social Business Objective
– Learn: What can be
learned from customers
– Dialog: The nature of our
interactions with customers!
– Support: How to provide
support via social channels!
– Advocate: How to build
customers and community!
– Innovate: Using customer
and community to drive
Cambia Health Solutions Created Transformation
“We aren’t about ideas, we’re about
people with ideas, our igniters.”
- Mohan Nair, Chief Innovation Officer
• Purpose-focused from the start: To
create a culture of innovation
• Foundation building: I5 Process grew
igniters and evolved their ideas
• Validation: Presentation to CEO and
• Partnership: Product team + Innovation
team hosted company-wide challenge
Social & Innovation Become Catalysts for Change
Everyone is a Marketer.
Everyone is an Innovator.
“This is wonderful.
This is terrifying.”
Success&Factor:&& & & & & &Success&Factor&
Deﬁne&the&Overall&Business&Goals& & &Establish&the&Long>Term&Vision&
Connect your social and
innovation efforts to clear
Articulate a vision and
purpose for your
• Improve the ability for KP employees and Physicians to
connect, collaborate, and deliver
• Facilitate collective knowledge sharing across communities
of practice and interest communities of practice and interest
• Extend sharing beyond existing boundaries
• Speed time for adoption of successful practices
• Increase employee productivity and help employees do their
• Increase employee satisfaction
Kaiser Permanente’s Innovation Goals
DPR Construction’s Core Value: “Ever Forward”
“Many companies have great ideas, but
unless you have people dedicated to the
implementation, there is no innovation.”
- Eric Lamb, DPR Exec VP
• DPR made Innovation the keystone of
its core values over 20 years ago.
• Foundation building: Full-time
innovation program manager and Six
full-time corporate innovation
champions along with part-time
• Process: Ideas advance through
automated idea graduation thresholds,
and the team then reviews five to ten
ideas for implementation every week.
Success&Factor:&& & & & & &Success&Factor:&
Get&ExecuEve&Support & & & & &Deﬁne&the&Roadmap&
To scale takes the
support of key executives!
Strategy: What you do
and what you won’t do!
Get Executive Support and Involvement
• Established in 2009, The
Innovation Pipeline (TIP) has
involved 130,000 participants from
52 countries and all 50 states
• More than 25K innovation ideas
• $38M invested in viable projects
Reverse Mentoring Aligns Executives at Cisco
• Source: Cisco Cisco Social Media Training, 2013!
Maersk Plans Engagement By Audience and Channel
Success&Factor:&& & & & & &Success&Factor:&
Establish&Governance&and&Guidelines & &Staﬀ&Appropriately&
How will governance and
decision making be
What processes will be
Who will lead and who will
Cisco Integrates Innovation and Social
“We wanted to have a meaningful impact
attaching Cisco to the UK in a big way,
making the focus on innovation, skills,
- Tom Kneen, Head of Business
• Purpose-focused: to raise awareness
of their role as an innovation leader
and their active partnership with
governments and global communities.
• Partnership: Launched at the London
Olympics with Prime Minister David
Cameron, and partnering with HR,
Legal, Marketing and PR firms.
Resist bright shiny
objects. Invest in
technology that supports
your strategy. !
investment buy-in with