5 Critical Skills for
Data driven marketing that works
Michael Leander – Twitter: @michaelleander
“If the wind
will not serve,
take to the
• Twitter @michaelleander and @UpGrad_Edu
• Use hashtag #michaelleander
• LinkedIn, Facebook, YouTube, G+ - search for
Focus on the end goal
- conversions, not traffic
- sales, not leads
1) Be channel & media
Work with GIDMA to achieve best ROI
Be media agnostic – don’t become a
Remember! Audience media preferences differ depending on purpose
ROMI by 5, 10, 15
Where are your customers and what do they use each channel for?
(remember ME Time)
Where do you need to be, and why?
Will each channel provide the ROMI you require?
Which channels are merely serving as support to other channels?
How do you measure?
2) Be ROMI focused
Work with GIDMA to achieve better ROMI
MWRMost Wanted Response
- What do we want people to do?
- What do we want people to think?
- What do we want people to learn?
- How do we want people to react?
- What next step do we want them to take?
Understand key metrics
Cost of acquiring a new customer
Cost of acquiring a sale (transactional)
Cost of acquiring a QUALIFIED lead (MQL/SQL)
Cost of retaining existing customer base
Cost of Win-Back & Churn Prevention
What is your perception about
your current attribution?
Channel % spend Rate effectiveness
1 = low 5 = max
Solo or in
% of customers
who prefer this