Micro Data and Schema for Websites
What we will cover
• What are rich snippets
• What is microdata
• Examples and implantation of microdata
• Testing of microdata
What is Microdata and Schema?
Rich Snippet Microdata is a way to label content to describe a
specific type of information. It is piece of code that
is usually only visible to search engines.
Schema.org is website that provides official
recommendations and mark-up for webmasters.
In order to get Rich Snippets visible in SERPs we need to use Microdata
(or other format) in order to communicate with search engines.
Why bother with rich snippets?
• Increased visibility and click through rate => more traffic
• Better visibility of your content
• Search engines is using these data to create new tools and
enhance search results
• Search engine will understand better your content
Rich snippets types
• Code needs to be valid
• It is easy to test
• Describe and summarize the page’s main content as a user would see it.
• Contain up-to-date information. We won’t show a rich snippet for time-sensitive content that is no longer
• Be of original content that you and your users have generated and is fully contained on your page. We
won’t show a rich snippet for content that is linked or alluded to but not directly available on a page.
• Marking up content that is in no way visible to users.
• Marking up irrelevant or misleading content, such as fake reviews or content unrelated to the focus of a
• Is your markup incorrect or misleading?
• Have you supplied enough information?
• Does your markup include incorrect nesting?
• Can Google see the page?
• Have you only recently updated your content?
Authorships allows assign author a content.
Google is using AuthorRank to measure “trust” of authors.
How to enable authorship
1, Set-up Google plus profile
2, Set-up authorship for your website
3, Verify it works properly
4, Happy writing
Set-up by email
Set-up by Google+ profile
If you have CMS or blogging platform it is usually quite easy either through widgets or editing templates.
Contact me: au.linkedin.com/in/michaelcerny/