4. Who would be the audience for your media product?The target audience for my magazine would be 14-24 year olds who areinterested in hip hop music. I wanted to target young people as from myresearch I discovered these were the type of people who would read mymagazine. The social class of my target audience would be around a C1to a B, this is because my magazine wasn’t very expensive but people in aclass of C2 or D wouldn’t be likely to spend their money on magazineswhere as people of a more middle class are more likely to buy magazines.My magazine was also aimed at young black males as in my research ofexisting magazine I found that most of the artists in the magazines wereyoung black male rappers. The target audience I have described wouldvery likely be mainstreamers/followers as the music and artists in mymagazine follow a certain kind of trend, they would believe they arecommitted to the one genre of music.
5. How did you attract/address your target audience?In my questionnaire i asked the questionnaire ‘what is the most appealing feature about the magazine?’ and these are the results for each page...14 Cover1210 8 6 4 2 Contents 15 0 Bright Text Images Content 10 Colours 515 Article 010 Bright Colours Text/Font Images Cotent 5 0 Bright Colours Text/Font Images Content
5. How did you attract/address your target audience? I attracted my audience predominantly with the colours I used, because from doing my questionnaire I found that younger people are more attracted to bright colours, where as older people are more drawn in by sophisticated simple layouts. I used bright red a lot throughout my magazine as it connotes aggression and passion for the genre of music.I also attracted my audience by the language I used within the article, as being ateenager myself I am familiar with the type of language used within the age rangeof my audience. For example in the article I used colloquial language like…
5. How did you attract/address your target audience?Bold red writing, I know The colour scheme fromfrom my research that a doing my research I foundyounger audience are that having a ‘house style’more attracted by bright and is more attractive asbold colours. opposed to lots of brightSans serif fonts are more colours in no scheme orsimple and easier to read order.as opposed to serif font Banner telling thewhich indicate a more audience about what issophisticated older inside the magazine, i didaudience. that to draw my targetYoung, black model of a audience in.similar age to the target I left the background aaudience so young people plain white colour as ican relate to it , he is know from myposing like some kind of questionnaire is appealingfamous artist to draw my to a younger audience asaudience in that a new it is simple and makes theartist will be featured image stand out more.within my magazine.
5. How did you attract/address your target audience? I edited the image of the decks because again it is more appealing for youngOne of the stories i people to look at brightincluded in my magazine colours as opposed towas to ‘win tickets to see boring colours like grey.tinie tempah’ this would I mentioned a lot ofattract my target well known hip hopaudience as concerts are artists in my contentsa lot more popular with page, this was to drawyounger people, also the audience is becausebecause my magazine if they recognise thewasnt very expensive and names they are moresolely aimed at middle likely to be interestedclass, some of the people want to readreading my magazine more, where as if i hadmight not be able to made up all of theafford a lot of concert artists there wouldnt betickets, so winning them anything for my targetwould be appealing. audience to relate to.
6. What have you learnt about technologies from the process of constructing this product? A tool that i used a lot when making this product was the ‘drop shadow’ tool. I used this on a lot of the text on the front cover, to make the text stand out on a busy background. I could also put this effect on shapes to make them more eye-catching and stand out on an unclear background. Another tool i used when making the front cover in Photoshop was the ‘rectangle tool’ this i used to make the text at the bottom of the page stand out. The white font didnt show up on the image in the background, but when i put the bright red box behind it, it looked a lot more noticeable and clear to read. Before After
6. What have you learnt about technologies from the process of constructing this product? I used this tool to mark out where I wanted to put my images. I then used the ‘place’ feature to place the image I wanted into the box I’d drawn. This meant that i could rearrange the image to the position i wanted it within the box. I could also select whether i wanted the image to fit frame proportionally or fit content proportionally.
7. Looking back at your preliminary task, what do you feel you have learnt from it in the progression from it to the full product? -I have learnt how to make the text stand out more on a difficult background. -I also used better colours which stand out a lot better and are more suitable for my target audience. -I think my image on ‘FFWD’ looks more professional and is more relevant to the genre of magazine. -I did although use a very similar layout, i included a banner at the bottom, all cover lines down the left hand side, masthead on the left and the model positioned to the right of the page. -The background behind the model looks a lot more realistic compared to the preliminary cover where the model is standing in front of a brick wall.
7. Looking back at your preliminary task, what do you feel you have learnt from it in the progression from it to the full product? -I have learnt how to use the tools in Photoshop to make my contents page look more realistic. -I have done more research into what an existing contents page looks like and shown this in my work, in my preliminary task I didnt really follow many existing features of a contents page. -Also the images I took were more professional as i prepared what i wanted to take photos of as opposed to in my preliminary task i took images of whatever possible at the time, they didnt have much relevance to the magazine genre. -I have used better colours that are more suited to the genre of magazine and target audience.