Amelie Le Moullac
by Malvika Madan, Merrick Fuchs, and
ENC 1101 CRN 80592
Who is Amelie Le Moullac?
• A graduate of Menlo High
School in Atherton and the
University of Southern
• She worked as a client
executive at Voce
Communications, a public
relations firm located on
Third Street near Brannan.
• She was 24 years old and
may have been riding to
work when she was hit by a
History of bicycle/car accidents in San
• Le Moullac is the third resident to be killed on a
bike in San Francisco streets this year.
• Each victim was killed by a heavy truck driver,
none of whom have been cited or charged.
Who was the Truck Driver?
• Gilberto Alcantar, a Daylight Foods employee from Milpitas
45 year-old Gilberto Alcantar was driving his food truck on
his route for work.
• The driver, was said to make many mistakes the morning of
his job like speeding and failing to get into the bike lane
• Proper procedures
when there's a bike
lane and you're
making a right turn
were not made.
• This lead to him
hitting Le Moullac
with his truck.
What happend on the Day of the
• Amelie Le Moullac was hit by a food distributing truck and
• She was hit when the truck driver made an illegal right turn
and failed to yield resulting in him merging into the bike lane.
• Ambulances brought Le Moullac to a local hospital to try and
save her life.
The Aftermath of the accident
• Le Moullac died at
San Francisco General
• The truck driver
stayed at the scene
and was not cited at
the time of the
Who was at fault?
• The determination of fault in the crash was first
reported by the SF Chronicle’s Chuck Nevius,
apparently confirms that the driver made an illegal
right turn in front of Le Moullac, failing to yield and
merge into the bike lane.
• The SFPD, which had initially indicated that there was
no wrongdoing on the part of the driver
• Amelie's family attorney said that the driver made multiple
mistakes that morning.
• He not only was driving too fast but make an unsafe right turn
during rush hour on Folsom Street.
• Five days after Chief Suhr made a statement to the public, the
case still had not gone to the district attorney.
• Le Moullac's family has filed a
civil lawsuit against the driver
who killed her, Gilberto
Oriheaula Alcantar. as well as
the company that he was
driving for, Daylight Foods Inc.
• The both claimed alleging that
he was negligent in driving too
fast and failing to pulled into
the bike lane before making a
right turn from Folsom onto 6th
Questions posed towards the result
of the accident.
• The fatal accident spawned questions
to the San Francisco Police
Department about whether officers
and investigators are biased against
• Members of the SF Bicycle Coalition
found out that the police had not
gathered surveillance camera video of
the accident from a garage that was
across the street.
• This video was also used in court
against the driver and his company.
• The San Francisco Bicycle Coalition is starting
the “Safe SoMa Now!” movement, beginning
with an email to the mayor about making the
streets safer for cyclists.
Statistics dealing with LeMoullacs accident.
Country wide 677 lives were lost in bicycle/motor vehicle crashes in the U.S. in
While lower than the 830 fatalities in 1995, bicycling crashes were on the rise just
a few years ago.
These numbers represent just over 2 percent of the total number of people killed
in traffic crashes in 2011.
In San Francisco alone, there were 630 non-fatal
bicycle injury collisions and 4 fatal bicycle collisions. These numbers make up
About a fifth of San Francisco’s injury collisions involve bicycles.
Amelie Le Moullac’s accident
• "Streetsblog San Francisco." SFPD Faults Trucker in Le Moullacâ€™s
Death, Apologizes for Ernstâ€™s Behavior. Web. 14 Nov.2013.
• Noyes, Dan. "Wrongful Death Lawsuit Filed in Cyclist Death."
Wrongful Death Lawsuit Filed in San Francisco Cyclist Amlie Le
Moullac's Death. 03 Sept. 2013. Web. 14 Nov. 2013.
• Law, Sheff. "Personal Injury Lawyer Blog." FAMILY OF YOUNG
CYCLIST KILLED BY TRUCK FILES WRONGFUL DEATH LAWSUIT -. 11
Sept. 2013. Web. 18 Nov. 2013
• McMenamin, Dan. "Police find truck driver at fault in collision that
killed cyclist Amelie Le Moullac.” Almanac Online .29 Aug. 2012.
Web. 18 Nov. 2013.
• Traughber, Patrick. "A list of people killed while riding a bicycle in
San Francisco." Medium. 26 Sept. 2013. Web. 18 Nov. 2013.
• "New video sheds light on San Francisco cyclist's death | Video |
abc7news.com." RSS. Web. 18 Nov. 2013.