What is the average salary in the United States
for a person with a bachelor’s degree?
Compared to $31,283 for a high school
Please write every question you have
about the class on the handout
Compare with the person sitting next
You will have three minutes with
each page to answer as many of
your questions as you can
Feel free to come up with new
questions and answers!
With your partner, make a list on
one piece of paper of
Bring the list to me
Do you have the answer to any
of the questions on the board?
Do you have any questions
about the answers that we need
Do not do this right now!
Read through the syllabus on your own
Make sure you understand the difficulty and the
level of commitment you will need to have
Initial and sign where indicated and bring the
agreement back Thursday
This is your first homework assignment and it
will count as an assignment
You and your companions have just survived the crash of
a small plane. Both the pilot and co-pilot were killed in the
crash. It is mid-January, and you are in Northern Canada.
The daily temperature is 25 below zero, and the night-time
temperature is 40 below zero. There is snow on the
ground, and the countryside is wooded with several
creeks criss-crossing the area. The nearest town is 20
miles away. You are all dressed in city clothes appropriate
for a business meeting.
Your group of survivors managed to salvage the following
1. a ball of steel wool
2. a small ax
3. a loaded .45-caliber pistol
4. a can of Crisco shortening
5. newspapers (one per person)
6. cigarette lighter (without fluid)
7. extra shirt and pants for each survivor
8. 20 x 20 ft. piece of heavy-duty canvas
9. a sectional air map made of plastic
10. one quart of 100-proof whiskey
11. a compass
12. family-size chocolate bars (one per person)
Your task as a group is to rank the above twelve items in order
of importance for your survival. List the uses for each. You
have five minutes.
In a group, agree on the ranking of
You MUST come to an agreement as
Rank the items and explain your
You have fifteen minutes.
• To award points, look at the ranking numbers on
this answer sheet.
• Award points to each team’s top choices according
to the numbers here.
• For example, the map would earn 12 points, while
the steel wool would earn 2 points.
• Lowest score wins (and survives).
Please answer the questions
Your group will not see your
Getting to Know You handout
Read “The Middle Ages”
Beowulf pages 36-41