“Where does the money go?”
The American Cancer Society is accelerating the progress against cancer in every
community, thanks to donations made at RELAY!
Saving Lives Helping Those Touched by Cancer Empowering People to Fight Back
• Since the inception of its Research Program in • Any time, day or night, people facing cancer can • Ensured access to breast and cervical cancer
1946, The Society has contributed to almost connect with lifesaving information, resources, and screenings for low-income women.
every major cancer discovery. As a result of support online at www.cancer.org or through our toll- • Passed the Patient Navigator Act, which
research advances, there are more than 10 million free call center – 1-800-ACS-2345. allows for personal navigators who will
cancer survivors in America. • You are never alone in the Cancer Survivors assist patients in medically underserved
• Society funding of select researchers led to NetworkSM, an online community that connects communities gain access to affordable,
effective treatments like chemotherapy, radiation, patients, survivors, and caregivers with others who understandable prevention, detection, and
and bone marrow transplants that extend have “been there” for insight, moral support, and treatment services.
thousands of lives each year. inspiration. • New Medicare enrollees now have access to
• Many cancers such as breast, cervical, colon and • When the best hope for a cure is at a cancer center far a “welcome visit” with their physician that
prostate can be detected early when treatment is from home, Hope Lodge® provides a comfortable, will result in personalized healthy lifestyle
more effective. Society-funded research has led nurturing environment where patients and caregivers and screening recommendations.
to the development of early detection methods can stay free of charge during treatment and focus on • Cancer advocates sent over 45,000 letters to
such as the PSA test and mammography. what is most important – getting well. Congress urging them to support cancer
• If colon cancer is discovered and treated early, • Through I Can Cope® classes, medical professionals research and programs.
the 5-year relative survival rate is 90%.The help patients and their families overcome fears
• Continuing to restrict youth access to
Society has been a leader in raising awareness through information and resources to understand their
about the importance of getting tested for colon cancer experience.
• Reduced deaths and illnesses by advocating
cancer to save lives. • Patients need not worry about how to get to and from
for stronger smoking ordinances and state
• Original Society scientific research contributed to their treatments when trained American Cancer
laws to protect employees and the public
the recognized link between smoking and lung Society volunteers offer free transportation,
from tobacco smoke.
cancer. The Society is helping smokers double friendship, and support through our Road to
• Society events such as Relay For Life®,
their chances of quitting through our Quitline, Recovery® program.
Making Strides Against Breast Cancer®, and
1-877-YES-QUIT. • A free consultation with a Look Good … Feel Better®
Celebration on the Hill®, offer a venue to
• The Society advocates for stronger smoking beauty consultant helps female patients feel beautiful
make a difference in the fight against cancer
ordinances and state laws to protect employees again by providing tools and tips to overcome
and share the camaraderie of others with the
and the public from tobacco smoke in an effort to treatment side effects and restore their pre-cancer
reduce death and illness caused by smoke. appearance and self-esteem.
• The Society works to fund researchers early in • The American Cancer Society offers many other
their careers, when funding is particularly hard to programs, services, and resources to help with the
receive. Remarkably, 42 of those funded cancer journey. Call the Society to find out which
researchers have gone on to win the Noble prize. ones are right for you, 1-800-ACS-2345.