1. • Kenny and Sue Colbert
• Parents of Kenan Colbert Koll
• We have lived in Huntersville, NC for 25 years
2. • From Kenan’s blog in her own words…
• February 2009 - Diagnosed with Choroidal
Melanoma in my left eye
• February 17, 2009 - -Saw Dr. Mruthyunjaya at
Duke University to work out a treatment plan
• February 25, 2009 - enucleation to remove the cancer!
4. Kenan married Billy Koll. The love of her life!
Billy was there through every scan, doctor’s appointment, and struggle.
We are still very close to Billy!
5. Starting in February 2009, Kenan got a CT scan
every 6 months to monitor her body for any
cancer cells that may have traveled from her
eye to another part of her body.
• March 8, 2011 - CT Scan
February 22, 2011 - Kenan had a 6 month
check up with Dr. Jablon (her wonderful retina
doctor in Charleston who originally found the
tumor in her eye and scheduled all of her CT
7. March 9, 2011 - Dr. Jablon called to tell Kenan
they found a spot on her liver they had not
seen before. They were suspicious the spot
may be melanoma so they sent her to MUSC to
have a biopsy to confirm.
• March 14, 2011 - Fine needle aspiration liver
biopsy at MUSC
March 15, 2011 - PET Scan
8. Based on all of the scans and the
biopsy the doctors determined that
the cancer had spread to Kenan’s liver
9. Then, there were lots
of trips to Philadelphia
Treatment with Dr. Sato
and Dr. Gonsalves at
13. • Kenan and Meredith had A LOT in common. As you know, about 6 in 1
million people are diagnosed with ocular melanoma. About 3 of those 6
people will have melanoma spread to another part of their body.
Unfortunately, Kenan and Meredith fell into that very small population.
• Get ready for the weird part…
• They both were originally diagnosed in 2009, within 2 months of each other.
They both went to the same high school, Hopewell High School in Huntersville, NC
• Their Dads were fraternity brothers at UNC at the same time (Go Heels)!
• The coincidences really made us wonder and our doctors were
shocked by all of the similarities! Kenan stated that she absolutely
hated that the two of them were battling this terrible cancer, but
she was thankful that they had each other. Kenan felt Meredith
was the only person in the world who could understand what goes
through her mind on a daily basis and she was a great support
15. • Kenan and Meredith learn about the third young
woman from their high school diagnosed with
Ocular Melanoma in 2013
16. Summer was diagnosed with
Ocular Melanoma in 2013
• Summer was 19 years old when
• She attended the same high school that
Kenan and Meredith attended
• Summer’s cancer metastasized in
• Summer is being treated at Duke
38. July 2016
Senator Jeff Tarte secured a $100,000.00 grant to
use for an Ocular Melanoma study in Huntersville,
39. Thank You NC State Senator, Natasha Marcus, for introducing a bill
to give $100,000 to the Town of Huntersville to aide in finding a
cause for the Ocular Melanoma Cancer Cluster in our area.
40. Thank You Senator Vickie Sawyer for
filing a bill to name and study cancer
clusters in NC