• ~one-half of the globe
• The Equator divides the Northern and
• The Prime Meridian divides the Eastern
and Western hemispheres.
• ~locations north or south of the Equator
measured by imaginary lines.
• The Equator is at 0 degrees latitude; an
imaginary line that separates the northern
and southern hemispheres.
• ~locations east or west of the Prime
Meridian, measured by imaginary lines.
• The Prime Meridian lies at 0 degrees
• ~the checkered board pattern on a map
that is created by crossing lines of latitude
• This grid system helps you find the
absolute location of a place.
• ~the specific location of a place; the
longitude & latitude of a location or the
specific address of a location.
• For example;
MMS Currituck County
216 Survey Road 36.36 degrees N,
Moyock, NC 27958 75.94 degrees W
• ~how mapmakers draw the round earth on
a flat piece of paper.
• Mapmakers create many different map
projections, that have their own unique
• ~ a code that explains lines, symbols, and
colors used on a map.
• ~a computer software program that
mapmakers use that can help them make
and change maps more quickly and easily
• G-geographic I-information S-systems
• ~ basic directions on a compass rose.
• N (north), E (east), S (south), W (west)
This compass rose only shows cardinal directions.
• ~a device drawn on maps to show
• ~any direction between the cardinal
• For example, NE (northeast) is between
north and east.
This example shows both cardinal and intermediate directions.
• ~a measuring line on a map that helps you
determine distances on a map.
• ~the ratio between a distance on a map
and the same distance on the earth.
• For example; 1 inch:20 miles
• ~changes of elevation over a given area of
This is an example of
a raised relief map.
• ~the distance of an area above sea level.
• ~one line for each major level of elevation:
contour maps show levels of elevation:
contour maps are a type of physical map
• ~the location of a subject in relation to
• For example; Camden County is just west
of Currituck County.
• How are political and physical maps
different from each other?
• Compare how they are the same…
• ~show the names and boundaries of
countries and often identify major physical
• ~ identify landforms and water features
Physical maps often show relief
A contour and relief maps are