Special Session on social media - Get started on Twitter #EBMT15
Special Session on Social Media
Get started on Twitter!
Istanbul, Monday 23 March 2015
• Free micro-blogging to send and receive short public messages
called tweets that are limited to 140 characters.
What is Twitter?
Twitter and Social Media in general focus
on building online communities of
people who share interests, or who are
interested in exploring the interests of
others through two-way communication.
Anatomy of a tweet
Share via DM or email
Pin to your profile page
Term Definition Examples of Tweets
@handle 1st sign of every Twitter username.
Also used in tweets when you want to
mention another user
#hashtag Used for group information around a
specific theme, subject, campaign or
To share somebody else’s tweet. A
retweet goes to all your followers
(a follower is someone who
subscribes to receives your updates)
Private messages to other Twitter
Shortened URLs Shorter links of a rather long web
address to be pasted in your tweet
How Twitter can be used as
a resource for research?
• Tweet about new publications
• Tweet commentaries about
clinical trials / guidelines
• Tweet interesting new
materials that you produce
• Tweet a take-away learning
after a session
• Tweet about details of talks,
seminars, guest lectures and
Setting up your Twitter account
• Follow other users:
– Use the Search box to look for friends / colleagues / BMT Community
– See who they are following by clicking on their profile, and then
clicking on ‘Following’
– Use also “Who to follow” option and the keyword search
• Start Tweeting: You have 140 characters to give a very brief,
interesting description that will make people want to follow you, so
• Retweet, reply, react at least twice daily to gain traction on Twitter.
You’ve created your account
and then what?
Twitter during an event or
an educational course
Those interested in or
attending the event
behind the scene coverage
Start a discussion with
attendees, share comments,
ask and answer questions