“How to talk to people”
• Find 5+* people to talk to.
• Ask them, “What is going well with [blank*]?
• Ask them, “What is not going well [blank]?”
• Ask them to elaborate.
• Listen more than you talk.
*ﬁll in the [blank] with whatever problem, task or activity you are trying to innovate on.
• Fight your instinct, be awkward.
• Don't rush to ﬁll silences.
• Don't "help" your participant answer questions.
• Don't complete your participants' sentences even if they
are struggling to ﬁnd the right word - let them struggle.
• Consistently, persistently, steer the conversation back to
the research topic.
• Objective is to gather data, not make a friend.
So what happened to Ford?
“…Ford’s adherence to his vision of the
mass-market car and how to materialize
that vision was instrumental in both his early
success in growing Ford Motor Company
as well as his later failure…”