• American-born English essayist, critic, and author.
• He was born in New York City.
• His father was one of the best-known intellectuals in mid-
• He traveled back and forth between Europe and America.
• He studied in Geneva, London, Paris, Bologna and Bonn.
• His method of writing allows him to explore issues related to
consciousness and perception.
• A text must first and foremost be.
• Good novels show life interesting.
• He published articles and books
of travel, biography, autobiography,
• Watch and Ward (1871)
• Roderick Hudson (1875)
• Washington Square(1880)
• The Portrait of a Lady(1881)
• The Sacred Fount (1901)
• The Wings of the Dove (1902)
• The Ambassadors (1903)
Novellas and Stories:
• A Passionate Pilgrim (1871)
• Madame de Mauves (1874)
• The Pupil (1891)
• The Death of the Lion (1894)
• The Altar of the Dead (1895)
• The Figure in the Carpet (1896)
• The Jolly Corner (1908)
• A Little Tour in France (1884)
• English Hours (1905)
• The American Scene (1907)
• Italian Hours (1909)
• French Poets and Novelists (1878)
• Partial Portraits (1888)
• Essays in London and
• Notes on Novelists (1914)
• Picture and Text (1893)