Topic To Be Covered
• What is Etiquette?
• Why business Etiquette ?
• Certain important business
• Social Etiquette.
What is Etiquette?
Etiquette is a code of
behavior that delineates
expectations for social
behavior according to
within a society, social
class, or group.
i.e. etiquette transforms a
man into a gentle man.
Why business Etiquette ?
It seems that today the rule is to break all the
rules! Unfortunately, when it comes to how we
treat one another, some people don't even
know the rules. This is the point where the
word business etiquette comes. It makes a
person more professional in his work and with
his peer groups.
Certain important business
• Office Etiquette
• Meeting Etiquette
• Be self-aware
• Use common sense
• Mind your own business
• Never go over your
• Treat every employee with the
• Do not post things of an
• Office Romance
Dating a supervisor or
subordinate is not be
• Avoid swear words and vulgar
• Poor communicating skill is not
• Avoid personal questions during first
• Whoever gets to the door first should
open it and hold for others who are
• Turn off your cell phone ringer, accept
voicemail and text messaging only.
• Never enter meeting room without a
notepad and pen.
• Introducing Yourself
Corporate Dressing Etiquettes
• Don’t be
• Be formal
• Your hair should be clean, combed and tied.
• Arrive at least 10 minutes before interview.
• If the company has no dress code, remember it’s
better to over dress than under dress.
• Turn off your cell phone before entering the
• Make a positive and professional first impression
by being assertive and a firm handshake to each
• Ask for permission to sit
• Communicate effectively by speaking clearly and
avoiding ‘ugh’, ‘you knows’ and slang.
Customer Service Etiquettes
Do not take comments or insults personally
Never interrupt the customer
Patience really is a virtue
• Be concise and to the point
• Use proper spelling, grammar &
• Use templates for frequently used
• Answer swiftly
• Use a meaningful subject
• Read the email before you send it
• Keep attachments to a Minimum
and mention your attachment in the
• Take care with abbreviations and
• Use active voice instead of passive
Eat when you are on phone
Put someone on speaker phone
Talk with others
Say anything that you don’t want the caller to
Answer the phone if you are not prepared
Answer calls when you are in office or in a
Telephone Etiquette (Continue..)
Answer using your name, title and ask how can you
Always leave your phone number and speak slowly
Leave a short, detailed message
Return calls in a timely manner
Smile when you answer the phone
Business Card Etiquette
• Always have a business card
• Have it in a good shape and updated
• Have it readily available
• Be selective about distributing
• Present it in a appropriate time and manner.
• Good postures displays
• Don’t slouch -stand and sit
• Don’t fidget- it is annoying
and a sign of boredom
• Keep hands away from your
mouth when speaking.
• Social etiquette is important for an individual as it
teaches him how to behave in the society.
• Wedding Etiquette:
Wedding is a special event in every one’s life. Individuals
should ensure they behave sensibly at weddings.
• Bathroom Etiquette:
Make sure you leave the restroom clean and tidy for the
• Be on time
• Stand on the right side of your
chair and enter from your left
• Put your napkin in your lap
• Decide on your menu selections
• Never order the most expensive
• Wait for all people to be served
• Know which silverware to use
with which food
Dining Etiquette (Continue..)
• Don’t eat with your mouth full
• Keep one hand in your lap unless you are eating
• Remove anything from your mouth with the
same implement that it went in with (except
• Eat at a moderate speed
• Try to maintain some polite dinner conversation
• Never medicate yourself at the table
• If you must leave the table, place your napkin in