i. Define lymphadenitis
ii. Causes of lymphadenitis
iii. Signs and symptoms of lymphadenitis
v. Treatment of lymphadenitis
vi. Complications of lymphadenitis.
• Lymphadenitis is an inflammation of the
lymph nodes, resulting in lymph node swelling
and tenderness. The lymph node , also called
lymph glands, are part of the lymphatic
system. The lymphatic system is part of the
immune system. Lymph nodes produce cells
that help the body fight infections.
• Inflammation of the lymph nodes can
arise due to infections or to non-
infectious causes. Infectious causes
include both viral infections, such as HIV
or upper respiratory viruses, and
bacterial infections. Less commonly,
fungal or parasitic.
Noninfectious causes of lymphadenitis
iii) Lymphoma (Cancer of the lymph
In lymphadenitis, the nodes will swell near
the site of an underlying infection ,
inflammation , or tumor
Signs and symptoms.
i. Hard, swollen or tender lymph nodes
ii. Itchy skin
iii. Redness, warmth or swelling
iv. High grade fever
• Antibiotics if bacterial caused e.g cephalexin,
• Pain killer such as ibuprofen to control pain
• Anti inflammatory to reduce the swelling
• Surgery to drain pus
• If the cause is cancer; surgery, chemotherapy
and radiation therapy.