4. Some key factors of Finnish education
This slide is copy from Sanna Ruhalahti’s presentation:
• All have equal access to high-quality education
• Its free and publicly funded
• Rights to educational support
• Lifelong learning - no dead ends
• Educational autonomy and local authorities
• Quality assurance based on steering, no controlling
• Highly educated teaching personnel
• Good and well supported education & training
5. What is so special about
Finnish National Board of Education 2016:
• Teaching is a very popular profession
• No inspections
• No national exams
• No teacher evaluation
• Teachers feel valued by society
• Short school days
• The amount of homework is low
• Number of lessons in art, music and physical education have been
7. Continuing teacher education
See for example: www.cimo.fi/instancedata/prime_product_julkaisu/cimo/
At most levels of education teachers are required to participate in in-
service training every year. There is wide variety of free trainings for
teachers and they participate eagerly.
• Make beautiful boards, documents, and webpages that are easy to
read and contribute to.
• Tool for collaboration and sharing (”digital flipchart”)
• For text, images, videos, voice, drawing, links,..
• Examples of digital stories: padlet.com/matlaakso/digitarinat
10. The NMC Horizon Reports
The New Media Consortium (NMC) is a
community of hundreds of leading
universities, colleges, museums, and
The NMC Horizon Project explores the
trends, challenges, and technology
developments likely to have an impact on
teaching, learning, and creative inquiry.
11. Key Trends Accelerating Technology
Adoption in K–12 Education
NMC/CoSN Horizon Report > 2017 K–12 Edition (CC BY):
(STEAM = science, technology,
engineering, arts and mathematics)
An easy tool for tests and activating conversation in the classroom
•Only teacher needs to sign in (kahoot.com).
•You or your students can easely create your own quizzes
•There are millions of public quizzes you can use or dublicate and
28. Create your own Kahoot
Sign in and create your own Kahoot
or dublicate (and modify) a Kahoot from Public Kahoots.
32. Quizlet is good both for
practising and testing vocabulary
• Eight types of tasks/tests and games
• Pc and mobile (iOS, Android)
• Quizlet Live (12+ terms)
34. Creating a new Quizlet
Sign in Create Set title Write the words (pairs) and choose
language. It can also be mathematics or chemistry.
Choose who can edit and view quizizz. Create
You can also use
pictures (Flickr, CC)
35. pixabay.com/en & pixabay.com/fr
• All images and videos are released free of copyrights under Creative
Commons CC0 (except those with Shutterstock watermark).
• You may download, modify, distribute, and use them royalty free for
anything you like, even in commercial applications.
Create a new AnswerGarden just by writing your theme or question
and then clicking Create. All other options are voluntary.
No signing in.
38. 1. Google Docs/Drive
5. Google Search
Top 200 Tools for Education 2017
Jane Hart: c4lpt.co.uk/top100tools/rankings
20. Google Scholar
Tutustu 200 parhaan
39. • Learn about CC-licensies: creativecommons.org
• CC BY-SA (these slides): creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/4.0
You are free to:
– Share — copy and redistribute the material in any medium or format
– Adapt — remix, transform, and build upon the material
– for any purpose, even commercially.
Under the following terms:
– Attribution — You must give appropriate credit, provide a link to the license,
and indicate if changes were made. You may do so in any reasonable manner, but not
in any way that suggests the licensor endorses you or your use.
– ShareAlike — If you remix, transform, or build upon the material, you must distribute
your contributions under the same license as the original.
• You can also contact me to get more rights. You will find all my slides in
English from this web page: www.matleenalaakso.fi/p/in-english.html
Licenced under Creative Commons
International License (CC BY-SA 4.0)
Trends in Education and Digital Assessment Tools 20.3.2018 made by Matleena Laakso has been licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License. You can contact www.matleenalaakso.fi/p/in-english.html to get more rights. More information can be found on the last slide.