Successfully reported this slideshow.
We use your LinkedIn profile and activity data to personalize ads and to show you more relevant ads. You can change your ad preferences anytime.
CASE 
STUDY 
Camelia 
Shanahan, 
PhD 
Student, 
University 
of 
Limerick 
Kelly 
Kirkpatrick, 
O’Sullivan 
Founda@on 
// 
...
Why Ireland?!
Irish 
innova@ons
Irish 
innova@ons
?
training 
with/Users/kellykirkpatrick/Dropbox/KK-­‐NO 
Doc 
Share/MathletesKK/The 
Finals/GRAPHICS/LOGO 
FOR 
BAGS.pdf
Participation #s! 
secondary! 
3rd year 
9% 
2nd year 
27% 
869,100 MIN TOTAL! 
Avg 
min/MATHletes: 
296 
(overall) 
v. 
2...
Individual v. school participation! 
Competed 
Individually! 
Competed w/ school! 
All participants! 7%! 93%! 
Provincial ...
Slide: 5th 
Bo 
! 
ys 
71 
Provincial Girl 
Bo 
finalists by gender! 
s 
6th 
ys 
! 
44 56 
Girl 
Bo 
National s 
ys 
46 
...
Slide: ! 
Provincial finalists by gender! 
! 
National finalists by gender !
P-­‐value 
= 
0.00005 
< 
0.05 
P-­‐value 
= 
0.01 
< 
0.05 
R-­‐squared 
= 
0.04 
TREND 
R-­‐squared 
= 
0.04
Case 
Studies 
P-­‐value 
= 
0.0001 
< 
0.05 
R-­‐squared 
= 
0.096
Slide: ! 
Need for external 
assessment pre-and-post 
for MATHletes 2015!
Impact!
Khan Academy 
Clubs! 
v 2.0!
KA 
users 
in 
Ireland 
2013-­‐ 
2014 
MATHletes
KA user engagement - US v Ireland! 
(Feb-May 2013/2014 YoY)! 
2x engagement Y 
oY!
January 5th, 2015 
mathletes.ie
2015
MATHletes Challenge 2014: case study & pilot learnings
MATHletes Challenge 2014: case study & pilot learnings
MATHletes Challenge 2014: case study & pilot learnings
MATHletes Challenge 2014: case study & pilot learnings
MATHletes Challenge 2014: case study & pilot learnings
MATHletes Challenge 2014: case study & pilot learnings
MATHletes Challenge 2014: case study & pilot learnings
MATHletes Challenge 2014: case study & pilot learnings
MATHletes Challenge 2014: case study & pilot learnings
Upcoming SlideShare
Loading in …5
×

MATHletes Challenge 2014: case study & pilot learnings

4,682 views

Published on

Case study presentation of lessons learned from the MATHletes Challenge 2014 - the pioneering maths tournament for Ireland using Khan Academy. Includes the need for the challenge, competition structure, participation rates, and preliminary analysis of outcomes.

Presented at Khan Academy Symposium, Dublin, Ireland September 27th, 2014. Find other presentations with tag KAireland or follow on twitter at #KAireland

Published in: Education
  • Be the first to comment

MATHletes Challenge 2014: case study & pilot learnings

  1. 1. CASE STUDY Camelia Shanahan, PhD Student, University of Limerick Kelly Kirkpatrick, O’Sullivan Founda@on // @MATHletes_ie #KAireland
  2. 2. Why Ireland?!
  3. 3. Irish innova@ons
  4. 4. Irish innova@ons
  5. 5. ?
  6. 6. training with/Users/kellykirkpatrick/Dropbox/KK-­‐NO Doc Share/MathletesKK/The Finals/GRAPHICS/LOGO FOR BAGS.pdf
  7. 7. Participation #s! secondary! 3rd year 9% 2nd year 27% 869,100 MIN TOTAL! Avg min/MATHletes: 296 (overall) v. 2,370(Ntl finalist) Easter break 334 teachers 276 schools 26 coun5es 3,000 students from 115+ schools 36% 64% primary! 5th class 25% 6th class 17% 1st year 22% 70% new to KA 85% new to KA
  8. 8. Individual v. school participation! Competed Individually! Competed w/ school! All participants! 7%! 93%! Provincial Finalists! 17%! 83%! National Finalists! 26%! 74%! Gender breakdown Girls! 54%! Boys! 46%! 44 56 %! %! 53% and.. 47% OVERALL! Provincial Finalists Na@onal Finalists 1 of 5 na5onal winners 1/3 of top 3 scorers …were girls
  9. 9. Slide: 5th Bo ! ys 71 Provincial Girl Bo finalists by gender! s 6th ys ! 44 56 Girl Bo National s ys 46 54 finalists by gender ! Girl s 29 1st Bo ys 45 Girl s 55 2nd Bo ys 42 Girl s 58 3rd Bo ys 67 Girl s 33 5th Bo ys 70 Girl s 306th Bo ys 57 Girl s 43 1st Bo ys 37 2nd Girl s 63 Bo ys 43 Girl s 57 3rd
  10. 10. Slide: ! Provincial finalists by gender! ! National finalists by gender !
  11. 11. P-­‐value = 0.00005 < 0.05 P-­‐value = 0.01 < 0.05 R-­‐squared = 0.04 TREND R-­‐squared = 0.04
  12. 12. Case Studies P-­‐value = 0.0001 < 0.05 R-­‐squared = 0.096
  13. 13. Slide: ! Need for external assessment pre-and-post for MATHletes 2015!
  14. 14. Impact!
  15. 15. Khan Academy Clubs! v 2.0!
  16. 16. KA users in Ireland 2013-­‐ 2014 MATHletes
  17. 17. KA user engagement - US v Ireland! (Feb-May 2013/2014 YoY)! 2x engagement Y oY!
  18. 18. January 5th, 2015 mathletes.ie
  19. 19. 2015

×