CHiLOs: A New Virtual Learning Environment for Large Scale Online Courses
CHiLOs: A New Virtual Learning Environment
for Large Scale Online Courses
NPO CCC-TIES Masumi HORI and Seishi ONO
smileNC&co Shinzo KOBAYASHI
National Institute of Informatics Kazutsuna YAMAJI
Kumamoto University Toshihiro KITA
1. The challenges of traditional LMS
2. CHiLO’s Architecture
3. Pilot study
Challenges of Traditional LMS
• Vendor lock-in
– Operation depends on specific platform
possibly causes vendor lock-in.
• User authentication
– Costs of accurate authentication are
– Everything is fixed.
• Completion rate
– Less than 10% .
Assessment & Budges
one-minute nano lecture video clips
CHiLO Creative Higher Education Learning Objects
The OUJ MOOC
How Computers work in Japanese/All 11 Volumes
– Prof Yoichi Okabe(President of the OUJ)
NIHONGO STARTER A1 in English/All 10 Volumes
– Prof. Tsuneo Yamada (the OUJ) & the Japan
How to provide
• Online publishing on Google and iBooks Store
• Open Facebook groups
From April 2014
The Open University Japan MOOC
Track Record of Online Bookstore
The total download number of all 11books
– Google play : 23,406 copies
– iBooks store： 14,029 copies
the top 50 free-of-charge eBooks
on Google Play
How Computers work
From April to October, 2014
Nihongo Starter A1 Facebook Group
from 94 countries
Nihongo Starter A1 Learner activities
Online exam achievements
107 people(22%) passed
all the online exams
Results of the pilot study
• The CHiLO Book prevents vender lock-in.
• The CHiLO badge will be sufficient.
• CHiLO realize a refined lecture using
1-minute nano lectures.
• Collected enough learning outcomes.
Challenges to be worked on
• The files used in the eBook are difficult
• Efforts required to produce eBooks
• The need for CHiLO Reader for
The reading apps
Automated CHiLO Book producer