• Billions of devices.
– Currently we are about 10 B devices*
– Expected to grow to 50 B devices in 2020*
• Trillions of dollars.
– Revenue by IoT is expected to be $9 T**
– That doesn't include the monetization of the
data that these IoTs help collect
* Cisco estimation
** IDC estimation - Cisco estimation is $19 T
End to End Data Economy
• Data need to be collected (IoT, Devices,
• Data need to be securely transported
• Data needs to be sanitized
• Data needs to be processed (Big Data)
• Data needs to be stored
• Data needs to be exposed (API)
• Actionable results from Data (Analytics)
Pain or Gain?
• Monetization attack - Gain
– Disrupt the supply chain
– Disrupt the food/water supply chain
– Disrupt the manufacturing chain
• Cause disruption and Chaos - Pain
– (Cyber) terrorism
• Design with failure and vulnerability in mind
• Data quality matters, not just quantity.
• Clean, Trusted data should be weighted more.
• Digitally sign device firmware.
• Dont run anything from untrusted source,
especially firmware updates.
• New generation of nano scanners.
• Vouch for data integrity.