Secondary 2 History-Riots That Happen After the Election
Riots thathappen after theelection
• After the 1948 election, the social andeconomic problem still exist• This caused 2 riots to take place as adissatisfaction with the British rule• The 2 major riots is the Maria Hertogh Riotand the Anti-National Service Riot
Maria Hertogh Riot• This riot took place from the 11th ofDecember 1950 to the 13th December 1950• People involved in this riot– Maria Hertogh, born to Dutch Catholic parents– Che Aminah, her foster mother– Adeline Hertogh, Maria’s natural mother– The Muslim community
• During the Japanese Occupation, AdelineHertogh was the Prisoner of War. Maria wasthen raised by Che Aminah• Che Aminah raised Maria as a Muslim andchanged her name to Nadra• When Adeline Hertogh was released fromthe Prisoner of War, Che Aminah don’t wantto return Maria
• This issue was then brought to court• In May 1950, the judge judged that Mariashould be returned to Adeline Hertogh.However, Che Aminah filed up an appeal andin July 1950, the judge judged that CheAminah should keep Maria.• In August 1950, Maria married a Malayteacher , Mansoor Adabi.
• The court accused Maria’s marriage becausefirst, she was 13 when she was married, thismade it an underage marriage which was notrecognized as the Dutch law. Secondly, themarriage was not agreed by Adeline Aminah• The Muslim community was very upset aboutthe court’s decision and they think that theBritish did not respect the Muslim law• Maria was placed in a Catholic convent inThomson Road
• Many reporters went to the convent andpublished controversial photographsshowing Maria being surrounded by theChristian faith symbol• Che Aminah appealed again to win backMaria but it was rejected on 11 December1950. The Muslims who had gathered in thePadang to hear the decision started the riot
• They were angry because they felt that theBritish only sided the Dutch parents andthey felt that the British is not sensitive tothe Muslim community’s feeling.• They assault Europeans and even burn cars• The riot take place for 3 days. Thegovernment had to implement a restrictionfor 2 weeks
• They also ask for help fro the armies to helpmaintain the law and order. This controlledthe riot on 13 December 1950.• 18 people were killed and 173 people wereinjured in the riot• The riot caused business and economy to beaffected. It also caused social disorder whichaffected people’s lives.
• Races was stiffed because the other racesdid not understand the other cultures andcustoms
Anti-National Service Riot• This riot took place in the 13th of May 1954.• The Chinese-educated students wereinvolved.• In 1954, the National Service wasintroduced. This was to let all man at theage of 18 to 20 to go for National Servicewhich was the army.
• The Chinese secondary school studentsdon’t want to go for national servicebecause they felt that the British had beenignoring the Chinese students’ interest andthus don’t want to go for National service.Some of the students were also above 20years old because of the war whichdisrupted their education.
• Thus, they don’t want to go for national servicebecause it was only for man from age 18 to 20.• On the day of registration, very less studentsfrom Chung Cheng High School and ChineseHigh School turned up for the registration.• On the 13th of May 1954, more than a thousandpeople gathered outside the government houseto show their request to the governor
• It was originally a peacefuldemonstration, but it was conflicted withthe police when the students were calledout and a riot occurred• This riot caused 26 people to die and 48students to be arrested.• This riot made the Chinese communityshow sympathy to the students
• The Chinese community also hate the policeto use force on the Chinese students• The Chinese community become consciousabout politic and this caused the anti-Britishsentiments among them to become stronger