Learn the basics and get the tools you need
(Elementary and Middle Schools)
2BROWARD COUNTY PUBLIC SCHOOLS
1. What is social media?
2. The District’s channels.
3. Twitter basics.
4. Avoid pitfalls.
5. Tools you can use.
3BROWARD COUNTY PUBLIC SCHOOLS
What is social media?
4BROWARD COUNTY PUBLIC SCHOOLS
• Online social networking service
• Founded February 4, 20041
• More than a billion registered users2
• Platform for sending “tweets” – short forms of
communication no longer than 140 characters
• Founded March 21, 20063
• Almost 300 million active accounts2
1 - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Facebook
2 - http://www.statista.com/statistics/272014/global-
3 - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twitter
5BROWARD COUNTY PUBLIC SCHOOLS
What can I do with social media?
6BROWARD COUNTY PUBLIC SCHOOLS
How can I use social media?
• Use as a communication tool
• Use to share information with organizations
such as your PTA
• Promote your school newsletter
• Showcase your events
• Recognize teachers and accomplishments
• Connect with other schools and see topics
that are trending
7BROWARD COUNTY PUBLIC SCHOOLS
The District’s channels.
8BROWARD COUNTY PUBLIC SCHOOLS
The District’s social media accounts:
9BROWARD COUNTY PUBLIC SCHOOLS
The District’s mobile app:
10BROWARD COUNTY PUBLIC SCHOOLS
The District’s Twitter account:
11BROWARD COUNTY PUBLIC SCHOOLS
The District’s Facebook account:
12BROWARD COUNTY PUBLIC SCHOOLS
13BROWARD COUNTY PUBLIC SCHOOLS
• Handle = @browardschools
• Above your handle – this describes your
Twitter feed, it will not direct people to your
• Hashtag = #
• Hashtag examples: #BCPSProud,
14BROWARD COUNTY PUBLIC SCHOOLS
• Followers = Twitter accounts that follow your
• Favorite/Favorited = People like this and link it to
their account page
• Following = The Twitter accounts that you follow
• Notifications = Updates
15BROWARD COUNTY PUBLIC SCHOOLS
• Retweet = RT = You can send information from
another account to your followers
• Retweet with Quote = You can retweet a
message and add your own comment
• Direct Message = @browardschools
(you will see .@ in posts, this eliminates a direct msg)
16BROWARD COUNTY PUBLIC SCHOOLS
Handle Tweets, Following,
17BROWARD COUNTY PUBLIC SCHOOLS
Tweet – Text, photos, location
Number of characters, less with photos
18BROWARD COUNTY PUBLIC SCHOOLS
What if parents don’t want to register for an
• Parents do not have to have a Twitter account
to see the updates
• The information is available to anyone online
• View via a browser
• Interact through the Twitter app
• Twitter is embedded in the District’s mobile app
19BROWARD COUNTY PUBLIC SCHOOLS
How can I get the most out of my posts?
• Use photos
• Include other
• Utilize ParentLink
• Drive traffic back
to your school’s
20BROWARD COUNTY PUBLIC SCHOOLS
21BROWARD COUNTY PUBLIC SCHOOLS
What if I made a mistake?
Delete and repost
22BROWARD COUNTY PUBLIC SCHOOLS
What if I made a mistake?
23BROWARD COUNTY PUBLIC SCHOOLS
Never use a simple password. Include:
24BROWARD COUNTY PUBLIC SCHOOLS
• Posts on social media are public record and follow
public record regulations.
• Public Records Guidebook:
• Public Records Brochure:
25BROWARD COUNTY PUBLIC SCHOOLS
Social Media Guidelines
• Social Media Guidelines:
26BROWARD COUNTY PUBLIC SCHOOLS
Tools you can use.
27BROWARD COUNTY PUBLIC SCHOOLS
We have tools to help you.
28BROWARD COUNTY PUBLIC SCHOOLS
Social Media Toolkit
• Examples of tweets
• Examples of headers on Twitter
• List of elementary schools
• List of middle schools
29BROWARD COUNTY PUBLIC SCHOOLS
Getting started checklist
• Pre-determine possible handles
• Register an account
• Upload images
• Send your first tweet
• Follow @browardschools
• Follow list of elementary schools
and/or middle schools
• Incorporate tweets into your
• Use as a positive tool to promote
BROWARD COUNTY PUBLIC SCHOOLS