Successfully reported this slideshow.
ANNA-MARIYA IVANOVA | MARIA CALUGAREANU |
OLGA LIPA | YORDAN DIMITROV
• Beauty specialist
• Fresh handmade products
• Founded in 1995 by Mark Constantine and Liz Weir
• Unique customer approach
• “We believe our product are good value, that we should make a profit and
that the customer is always right.” (Lush, 2015)
• Product differentiation
• Good customer service
• After sale services
• Unique marketing approach:
• Corporate Social Responsibility:
- Support for non-profit organisations (Save the Sharks, All Out)
• Lush vs. Body Shop & Aubrey Organics:
Benefits sought: A quality, non-chemical, ethical product. Higher level of service in
store, in store explanation of products.
Mostly regular (daily basis); + special occasions i.e. Christmas, Easter, Halloween
Purchase Behaviour: habitual/ brand loyal
User status: Regular users, with a growing emphasis for new users
User rates: Heavy user
Perceptions and beliefs: Niche market –natural, green, ethical;
Value all natural, organic products
Geographic: mostly urban centres.
Middle to high SES
Achievers, strives and survivors, (healthy lifestyle)
Personality: Brand conscious (price=quality consumers).
Price conscious (best value for the money spent); Impulsive/Careless buyer
(unworried about their expenses); Confused (about the choice of products/brand)
Women ages 18-45
Target consumer group
Target: Like minded people interested in environmental and ecological
issues, chemical free products, not testing on animals & fair trade sourcing of
ingredients. (Thakkar et al.,2013)
Means of testing the product
Privately owned company
Marketing & communication strategy
Price: Expensive but high quality
• Product positioning
- Anti-animal testing stance
• Brand positioning:
• Import & export regulations
• Government legislation
• New EU– Cosmetic Product Regulation
(Key Notes, 2013)
• Economies of scale
• Economic growth
• Price competition lowering margins of the
• Consumer attitude
• Campaigning for non-profit organisations
• Average shelf life cannot exceed 14
• Contain chemicals that can prolong their
shelf life (CPTA,2014)
The four P’s: Product, Price, Place and Promotion are very important to Lush.
- Offbeat, differential
- Unconventional names (Sex Bomb)
- Relatable shapes
- Competitive & varied
- Multichannel strategy (106 stores in UK) (Lush,2015)
- Store locations
- Word of mouth
- Everyone is a marketer & everything communicates
(Thakkar et al.,2013)
• CUOnline Moodle: 208MKT - Applied Marketing - 1516SEPJAN (no date) Available at:
https://cumoodle.coventry.ac.uk/course/view.php?id=24194 (Accessed: 30 October 2015).
• PHOTOS: LUSH (2014) ‘The experimenter’ in 4K (ultra HD). Available at: http://youtu.be/vPX1N7yGheo (Accessed: 5 November
• LUSH: Fresh, handmade cosmetics (no date) Available at: https://prezi.com/xocm8fc6xjqg/copy-of-lush-fresh-handmade-
cosmetics/ (Accessed: 29 October 2015).
• LUSH-target market (with images) · kwilkison (2012) Available at: https://storify.com/kwilkison/lush-target-market (Accessed: 29
• Lush (#10: Competitive advantage) (with images) · cherebear37 (2015) Available at: https://storify.com/cherebear37/lush-10-
competitive-advantage (Accessed: 29 October 2015).
• Lush fresh handmade cosmetics (no date) Available at: https://www.lush.co.uk/ (Accessed: 28 October 2015).
• Lush vs. The body shop - why retail CEM is essential for CX (2014) Available at: http://www.nunwood.com/lush-vs-body-shop-
retail-customer-experience-management-essential-customer-experience-excellence/ (Accessed: 30 October 2015).
• Recycling our black pots (no date) Available at: https://www.lush.co.uk/article/recycling-our-black-pots (Accessed: 28 October
• Renbarger, T. (no date) 5 reasons why lush has a cult brand following. Available at: http://info.elementthree.com/5-reasons-why-
lush-has-a-cult-brand-following (Accessed: 29 October 2015).
• Thakkar, M., Dalmazzo, M., Cretan, S., Singh, A., cardona, Tescari, E., Fan, E., Petersen, R., Kue, E. and Chloe, G. (2013) Cha Jin.
Available at: http://www.slideshare.net/manalithakkar/lush-marketing-project (Accessed: 29 October 2015).
• Topsy (no date) Available at:
http://topsy.com/analytics?q1=%22Lush%22&q2=%22Body%20Shop%22&q3=%22Boots%22&via=Topsy (Accessed: 28 October