RIWC_PARA_A135 analysis of the needs for the disabled residents in rural area
Analysis of the needs for the
Disabled Residents in Rural
Area of South Korea
Vice President, Korean Council on Social welfare Education(KCSWE)
Ph.D, Professor, Sahmyook University, Seoul, Korea
• Korea is regularly conducting a nationwide disabilities survey and
the survey data are cited as an important basis for determining
the disability policy(Source: National Disability Survey Korea 2014,
• Since conducted the nationwide disabilities survey in 1980, it
was conducted in 1985, 1990, 1995, 2000, 2008, 2011 and
2014, a total of 9 times.
• In the basis of this disabilites survey 2014, Korea has 2.7 million
disabiblities and the disabled in household are approximately 2.6
million people and the disabled residing in the facilities are
about 80,000 people(Source: National Disability Survey Korea
• In addition, the prevalence of disability is 5.6% of 50
million people based on the population in Korea.
• Disability prevalence of rural households is 21.69%
among the 5.6% and when the estimated of the national
disabilities population, the rural disabilities is 15.5%.
• Despite of the disabilities survey that the government has
being carried out, they do not understand the actual
situation in rural disabled people and don't have any
attention the results.
• Particularly, in the disabilities survey 2014, the proportion
of the disabled over age 65 is 43.3% among 2.7 million
the total disabled. And with population aging, the aging of
the disabled are accelerated.
• Reflecting this situation, the precedent research is searched only
the 26 cases and the official journal articles are just
• Based on this situation, the purpose of this study is,
• First, researching about the situation of the rural disabilities
that was not receive attention in national disabilities survey
which is doing in every three years by Korean government.
• Second, providing basic data for setting the direction of
disabilities welfare policies to cope with the aging of the
disabled analyzing the severity of the rural disabilities aging
with the data of the disabilities survey.
• Last, contributing to the future disabilities research as I report
the situation of the Korean rural disabled objectifying the
problems of Elderly with Disability.
Ⅱ. Research Methods
• For the fulfilling of the research purpose, I conducted a survey. I
selected firstly comparatively high disabilities aging area and
secondly selected comparatively high disabilities aging over 65
area and finally selected Y region(Y means is Yangpyeong Gun).
Survey period : February 1 ~ 27, 2015.
Survey target : stratified sampling method, analyzed 248
questionnaires among the distributed 500.
Survey method : Visit Survey, FGI(focused group interviews
disabled persons), Town Meeting(100 people with disabilities
Survey contents : Living conditions of the disabled(income,
occupation, utilization of welfare services), needs for disabilities
welfare services, priorities of policies, needs for policy
1) 100 People with disabilities discussion forum Process
Display coded data
Using Google spread
KJ Methods analysis)
100 People with disabilities discussion
2. Research framework
(focused group interviews)
(500 people with disability
Living in Yangpyeong
(100 people with
101 survey items
97 people with
welfare center, 23%
Religious activities, 7%
Visiting neighbors and
Using public office, 2% Etc., 6%
5) Activities and Participation
PAS expanding, 36%
Running carriage free
bus for the disabled,
Expanding of call taxi for
the disabled, 13%
supporting center for
Introduction of Low-floor
6. Things Caring out for social participation
1. Agenda of survey results
• First, there is a need to seek for the multilateral measures for transit
facilities of the disabled.
• Second, there is a need for the development of a comprehensive
disability welfare services considering the disabled aging. For example,
there are the development of transit facilities, constructing of the
road, installation of elevators, introduction of low-floor bus and
using the sports facilities of the disabled and the old.
• Third, there is a need for the development of a comprehensive
approaching of the purpose facilities, the disorder Counseling and the
moving facilities organization considering the disabled again.
• In particular, the problems caused discrimination in supporting
activities aid service can create the systematic blind spot. So it can be
solved by approaching of the comprehensive assessment.
2. Installing operations the integration information call
for the disabled, tentatively named "OK Dial"
• One of the important situation revealed from this survey is to
be difficult to approach the integrated informations related
the disabilities welfare.
• It is more urgent matter that the disabled are getting
information than simply getting pension or allowance.
• There are lack of welfare information, lack of employment
information, lack of educational information, lack of cultural
and recreational information, etc.
• The integrated information center is needed for the disabled to
get more informations.
3. Necessity and measure of disability preventative
approaching about health and medical service
• It is important to be free from the prejudice that it is bad(not
healthy) itself the disabled have a disability. It is important to
prevent secondary disabilities. The disabled need the health
care information and the exercise information to be able to
develop and sustain their health. It is important to promote a
method of stretching exercises for the disabled through local
• Yangpyeong Gun has local health branch offices and branch
offices associated with health centers. They have visiting nurses
and home care nurses. As they visit house to house they can
teach stretching or exercising. The 29.7% people of Yangpyeong
Gun are watching TV as a leisure activities so it would be
effective to give health Informations and stretching Educational
program through local cable TV.
• The improvements related to health services are providing
subsidies for medical costs about treatment Disabilites, care
Counseling and services associated with hospitals and regional
health centers, and providing informations about physician or
the disabled healthcare professional.
• There are 54.7% disabled with aging and chronic diseases of
the disabled. Diabetes is 21.1%. Hypertension is 19.4%.
degenerative arthritis is 9.7%. Depression is 6.9%. In
particular, Medicare(medical assistance and support for
disability medical certificate fee) is the second needs among
the priority of welfare service next to the first needs is
economic income guarantee.
• For Yangpyeong Gun, the Disabilitity aging population is
becoming accelerated and the current 40 to 50 years old
people become the senior disability population in 20 years. So
they must carry out often health education and provide health
program for the middle-aged disabled. And they need
measures to deal with obesity and adult disease risk quickly
when the visiting nurses visit and check them.
4. Job Sharing Information Fair for the disabled,
tentatively "We Can" held
• It will be effective to hold job sharing information fair for 50% of
those who are not in employment. The hope fields of the disabled
employment are (19.8%) of health and social services(13.2%) of
manufacturing, 9.9%(9 people) of agriculture and fisheries and
educational services and civil servants.
• They may hold seminars and trainings of disability recognition
improvement, operations of employment information center, providing
supporting information for the disabled employer, debate for job
creating through job sharing information fair "We Can" which can be
held jointly with the Korea Disabled Employment Corporation so that
local governments will be able to make it attractive event actively
looking for a job for the disabled.
• If they hold the Fair once a year with the surrounding area like
Gapyeong or Yeoju, it will grow to more effectively disabled job fair.
5. Possibilities to operate the long distance area center of
Yangpyeong Gun Disabled Welfare Center
• One of the geographical features of Yangpeong Gun is the long distance between the
regions so the disabled are not easy to use the disabilities welfare services. To solve thie
• As an example, in order to improve the vulnerable of the travel distance and the
accessibility of the service, Gangwon Disabled Welfare Center operates a local branch
which provides services that the region needs.
• In additon, they are trying to solve the service needs of local disabled people through the
providing visiting medical services program like specialized rehabilitation services or
visiting physical therapy.
• It will be reasonable approach for Yangpyeong Gun to provide services as the form of
branch services focusing most needed services around Yangdongmyeon, Seojongmyeon
and Cheongunmyeon. For example, they can try to operate the professional and ungent
programs like early intervention treatment program for disabled children or rehabilitation
of the disabled.
• The regional hub branch operation has additional financial difficulties so initially it can be
started as a regional circulation patrol service that the Yangpyeong Gun Disablity Welfare
Center or Special Education Centers or Yangpyeong Gun Health Center operates.
6. Reflecting policy conducting survey regularly
about the Disabled Welfare
• The government conducts the disabled survey every 3 years to examine the local
disabled welfare and to reflect the disabled welfare policy. they can present as a
basis for policy recommendations collecting the various opinions of disabled
welfare professionals networking and the disabled parents participation and
the disabled participation It accommodates the contemporary paradigm of
the disabled welfare policies. the calculation of the policy data on survey can
• In the future, the disabled welfare survey can be conducted once in three years
on a regular basis and have to be promoted in the direction to produce the
basic data to perform a disablity welfare policies. For this, Yangpyeong Gun
will have to operate budgeting and be arranged to reflect the survey and
research data to policies. Currently in Yangpyeong the community survey is
conducted four times and the plan of social welfare devised throughout the
three period but it is almost impossible to find the disabled welfare situation.
• It is necessary to note that this legal justification to conduct a survey on the
basis of Article 18 "Disabled Welfare Enforcement Ordinance" and Article 31
"Disabled Welfare Law".
7. Supporting colleague counseling of
disabled parents and disabled families
• In this survey, the importance of the families of the disabled is new
understanding. If unmarried, family living with a parent was 61%, in the case of
married, spouses represented by a 49%, 36% of children, the parents of 9%.
• 40% answered to consult with the family so desperately has to share information
with families and educate the parents.
• There was averaged 3.8 out of 5 in family satisfaction. It means that the family
satisfaction is high. So it is still necessary to do consulting and educating with
parents who have the disabled children.
• Article 31(supporting counseling to caregivers) "Rights guarantees of
developmental disability and Law of the supporting" regulates to provide
professional psychological counseling for the local government and the nation
to the diasbled caregivers. And Article 25 subdivides into Peer Counseling,
couple or family psychological counseling and colleagues consultation.
• It is necessary to materialize the counseling of disabled parents and colleagues
and also professional counseling considering educating and counseling of
intellectual and developmental disabilities parents. Education for disabled
parents can configure the healthy family and this happy family can increase
satisfaction level so it is needed to materialize that counseling services are
activated through the disabled parents.