Sonia E. Mayol
Matt A. Peters
Dan N. Roytman
Started in 1958
First called “Pronto Markets”
1967 name changed to “Trader Joe’s”
First Trader Joe’s opened in Pasadena
California- still open today
• Founded by Joe Coulombe
• Gained customer base through
• Mission: Offer value, and dedication to
quality service through warm, friendly,
committed employees, along with a
pledge to offer quality products. They
require a culture that supports loyalty and
customer service through personal
contact with the consumer.
Four P’s of Trader Joe’s
•Product: Specialty foods generally
–Have their own brands typically do
not carry name brands
•Price: Prices range anywhere form $2.00
- $40.00 depending on product
•Place: Located around major
cities/suburban areas with high income
–Chicago, S.T. Louis
Four P’s Continued
• Promotion: Carry their own brand
specifically promoting their products.
• There are also in store advertising on
• Menus on their site of dishes one can
make using Trader Joe’s products
• Promos such as Two Buck Chuck wines
– Promoting quality product for an
Focus Group Questions
What stores do you normally grocery shop at?
Are you interested in eating healthy?
Do you purchase organic foods?
Have you been to Trader Joes?
What is your perception of Trader Joes?
What do you go to Trader Joes for?
When you go grocery shopping do you care more about quality or quantity?
The participants of our focus group were SIU students consisting of both male and
female. The ages of the participants varied from 20-25. The main idea that everyone in
the focus group had about Trader Joes is that they sell cheap wine. Everyone in the
focus group also agreed that Trader Joes quality is on the higher end, and that’s why
regulars go there.
Focus Group Cont.
• Trader Joes over other grocery stores due to
cheap organic food
• Regular shoppers they care about being
• organic food and a unique selection of beer
• The projected target market
– MRI data
• Male and female ages 19-49
• Middle class $50,000-$74,000
Overeducated and underpaid
Health-conscious label readers
People with champagne tastes and beer money
Well-read, well-traveled people who appreciate good
• An eclectic assortment of foodies, college students, sugar
friends, and health nuts
-The Trader Joe’s Adventure: Len Lewis
• September 20, 1980
• Whole Foods Market is a foods
supermarket chain based in
Austin, Texas which
emphasizes "natural and
• 331 locations
• Merging SafeWay with their
Clarksville Natural Grocery
• 1984, Whole Foods Market
– Red and Honey Brown
• These colors showing they an organic health conscious
• Employee Uniforms
Colors used in marketing
• How there colors are used in their marketing materials
• They do not use traditional marketing/advertising
• Their colors are used in their
• Logo and on the design of their bag
• Integrated within store front
• Design of website
• Same colors as the
signage, both contain
Trader Joe's red and
paper bag brown.
• A "homey" feel.
• Same background though
out the entire site.
• Consistent visual
• By using coupons that are brought into the store we can
determine if our ads are working.
• By Facebook clicks and Twitter views. We can determine if
these ads are bringing in customers.
• With in our events we will be able. To determine if our
customers are enjoying the Trader Joe’s brand and