• Scientific knowledge and technology influences individuals and
• Technology plays an important part in producing product that
affect quality of life.
• Better understanding of science and technology it is essential to
know the unique attributes of each enterprise , then addressing
their implications for society.
WHY STUDY STS
• Many of the problems facing society involve not only technology;
but also human values, social organization, environmental concerns
economic resources, political decisions, and a host of other factors.
• These are interface problem that is the interface between
technology and society and they can only be solved- if they can be
solved at all-by the application of scientific knowledge, technical
expertise, social understanding, and humane compassion.
SCIENCE VS TECHNOLOGY
• Basic enterprise
• Understand natural
phenomenon & to arrange
these ideas into ordered
• Knowing why (physical &
• Observation & theory ---
• Applied enterprise
• Involves design of product &
systems that affect the quality
• Knowing how (to make things,
to satisfy human needs and
• Developing, constructing and
applying ideas ---Product
INCORPORATING STS INTO THE CURRICULUM
• Science teacher involves students in building working models of
various machines and gadgets for further involvement of students
• Library work is another form of inquiry
How technology was discovered
how technology works
Potential danger of the technology
• Systems --- A teacher can focus an activity upon systems made up
of products and devices that already exists-------systems that can
be modified and improved to meet the needs of a community.
• For example, a critique of a mass transit rail system can be
incorporated in a physical science course that addresses energy,
mechanics and motion.
ADDRESSING ISSUES AND PROBLEM
• STS issues is an idea about which people hold
different beliefs & values (whether or not to make recycling
mandatory, to limit the constructions of multifamily apartment
buildings in a community or to fine drivers for not wearing seat
• STS problem is a situation that is at risk for a given
population for eg, the poisoning of fish in estuaries that are
receiving toxic waste from industry.
• Inculcation – teacher identifies a given value judgment and attempts to impart it
• Value judgement is to be presented with same arguments that teacher found
• Danger judgement not to imposed
one perspective regarding a complex, multifaceted issue is presented.
• Issue Awareness --- Aware of issues and problems is through the
clarification of ideas.
• Value clarification is an approach to “help students to confront the various
areas of conflict and confusion that are of specific concern to them, in a
constructive and systematic way”.
• Value clarification Discussion techniques
Newspaper article on a social issue related to a science topic currently
Awarding monetary damages to long term smokers diagnosed with lung
• Science teacher prepare vignettes about science-and technology related
problems and use these vignettes frequently throughout the school year.
• Students to keep science journal.
• Moral development
is used to improve the moral reasoning ability with the help of
examination of issues.
similar to analysis approach in that it emphasizes reasoning and
moral development approach focusses on personal moral values
eg fairness, justice etc
Analysis approach focusses on social moral issue such as global
warming, nuclear weapon
• Issue investigation
organization of factual information ae well as the presentation of
attitude, belief and values
Promotes scientific inquiry and higher order thinking very important
for science programs
Example not to use some of their land for long term storage of
• Action learning
it stresses taking social action in community, which extends
instruction beyond classroom
requires student participation in activities that benefit society
student engaged in ecology projects in their community