• It consists of multiple detection stations called
• It is equipped with a transducer,
microcomputer & transceiver and power
• In sensor networks is basic on the defense
application at the beginning, especially the
Distributed Sensor Networks (DSN).
Types of sensor network:
• There are many types of sensors.
• They are used to measure and/or detect
a huge variety of conditions
• Common sensor
• Bandwidth monitoring sensor
• Web server (HTTP) sensor
• SNMP sensor etc..
Distributed sensor network:
The implementation of sensor network using
distributed control architecture
• Sensor nodes are prone to failure
• For better collection of data
• To provide nodes with backup in case of
failure of the central node
• In 1978,Defence Advanced Research Project
Agency developed Distributed sensor
There are a number of standardization bodies
in the field of WSNs including WAVE2M and
• Operating systems such as eCos or
μC/OS used for sensor networks.
• TinyOS is perhaps the first operating
system for WSN
• LiteOS and Contiki are the other new
• WSN is to produce low cost and tiny sensor
• Node contains: radio, battery, microcontroller,
analog circuit, and sensor interface.
Algorithms and protocols need to address
the following issues:
• Lifetime maximization
• Robustness and fault tolerance
• Power consumption using batteries or energy
• Ability to cope with node failures
• Mobility of nodes
• Dynamic network topology
• Scalability to large scale of deployment
• Ability to withstand harsh environmental
• Ease of use
• Key Establishment
It consists of spatially distributed autonomous
sensors to monitor physical or environmental
• Battlefield surveillance
• Battle damage assessment
• Nuclear, biological and
chemical attack detection
• habitat monitoring
• agriculture research
• fire detection
• traffic control.
• no interruption to the
• Widely used in health care area
• Monitor patient physiological
• To control the drug
Recent development of Home
• Home application will step into our normal life
in the future.
• The features of distributed sensor
network is developing abruptly.
• DSN has many advantages and is used in
“It is going to make an evolution in
the Technology world”.