What kind of media institution
might distribute your media product
What is Production?
• A production company is basically the company that
make the film for the audience to watch.
• The production company can help when needing to
raise funds or could possibly have connections with
other larger companies to help fund the film making
• After the film making process, a distribution
company is needed
What is Distribution?
Distribution is basically the methods to make the film
available for your specific target audience through
different platforms/windows. E.g.;
Theatrical release (release into cinemas
Pay TV (Sky, Virgin)
Netflix (DVD rental)
Examples of Distribution
• A good example is for the movie ‘Shifty’
• This movie is a small independent movie that managed to get
quite popular (in spite of its very low budget)
• Shifty found a distribution company (metrodome) that
helped put them out into the public through various different
• This Distribution company also helped with films such as,
‘Donnie Darko, original version’ and ‘In the name of the king’
Would this distribution company help
• Metrodome help distribute a large range of films with a vast
range of genres
• Metrodome are known to have helped low budget films (such
as shifty) as well as high budget films
• I believe that a distribution company like Metrodome might
help our movie and be interested due to it being relative
somewhat to the British teenage audience
Will your film have an appeal for a UK
• Our film might be relevant to the UK audience however it
would be suitable mainly for teenagers/students still in
• This is because of the teen drama/college aspect introduced
in the opening of our film. And because of the age range
shown in the film. (generally teenagers)
• This means that our film could potentially have an appeal for
most countries (e.g. USA, UK, European countries etc..
Marketing, release and exhibition
strategies for your film?
• This is basically where we position the audience to
make it look like the film is for them.
• For example; for people who enjoy watching
superhero movies, we would promote and advertise
the movie in an area that they would see.
We could do this by making an interesting poster (eye
catching and relevant to our target audience) for
example the shifty poster.
• We could show the trailer (in cinemas) before movies
such as, twilight (teenage audience)
• Self distribution is also an
• Self distribution can be risky
due to it costing a lot of
money, However its an
• However it’s possible to be