• United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization was
founded in 1945.
• The Headquartered at the World Heritage Centre in Paris, France.
• UNESCO has 53 regional field offices and 199 national commissions
that facilitate its goals mandate.
• Its constitution establishes the agency goals, governing structure and
• UNESCO founding mission, which was shaped by the second world
war, is to advance peace, sustainable development and human right
by facilitating collaboration and dialogue among nation.
5. FIVE MAJOR PROGRAMES OF UNESCO
• Natural Science
• Social and Human Sciences
• Communication and Information
6. UNESCO ROLE IN EDUCATION FOR SUSTAINABLE DEVELOPMENT
• In December 2002, the United Nation General Assembly adopted a
resolution putting in a United Nations decade for sustainable
• Since its creation in 1945, UNESCO has worked to improve education
• UNESCO believes that education is key to social and economic
• UNESCO works for a sustainable world with societies that:
• Value Knowledge
7. • Promote a culture of peace
• Celebrate diversity
• Defend human right
• Achieve education for all
9. UNESCO ROLE IN CULTURE
• UNESCO promote culture diversity by safeguarding heritage in its
various dimension ( Tangible and Intangible) and enhancing cultural
• Promote social cohesion by fostering pluralism, intercultural dialogue,
and a culture of peace.
• Promote the central role of culture in sustainable development.
• UNESCO's mission is to contribute to the building of a culture of
peace, the eradication of poverty, sustainable development and
intercultural dialogue through education, the sciences, culture,
communication and information.
11. DEVELOPMENT OF UNESCO IN PAKISTAN
• The Islamic Republic of Pakistan joined UNESCO on 14 September
• The Government of Pakistan recognizes UNESCO as a long-term
strategic partner in support of achieving Pakistan's national
development plans and priorities.
• Mainstreaming out of primary school in Pakistan.
• Support to national capacity building to realize Girls' Right to
Education in Punjab and Gilgit -Baltistan.
• Protection and Promotion of Cultural Heritage of Punjab for
Sustainable Tourism and Economic Growth.
13. Success of UNESCO IN THE WORLD
• UNESCO preserves 1073 world heritage sites in 167 countries.
• UNESCO leads global efforts to reach quality education for all.
• UNESCO coordinates Tsunami early warning system.
• UNESCO led the reconstruction in Timbuktu.
• UNESCO launched the sesame world class research laboratory.
• UNESCO condemns the killing of journalists.
• Angkor temple removed from the list of WH danger.
• UNESCO published General and Regional Histories.
• UNESCO member states, associated schools.
• 177 state parties to the intangible heritage convention.
• UNESCO build youth networks across 9 Mediterranean countries.
14. PRIORITY ACTION AREAS OF UNESCO
• Advancing policy
• Transforming learning and training environment.
• Building capacity of educators and trainers.
• Empowering and mobilizing youth.
• Accelerating sustainable solutions at local level.
15. 5Ps of the 2030 AGENDA
• Planet: Respect and safeguard our common home.
• People: Leave no one behind and attain sustainable livelihoods and
• Peace: Live in peaceful, diverse, harmonious societies, free from fear
• Prosperity: Transform societies to have sustained, inclusive and
sustainable economic growth, and sustainable lifestyles.
• Partnership: Strengthen global solidarity to achieve the SDGs.