Key Nutrition related Interventions of the state identified
under Odisha Nutrition Action Plan
Panchayati Raj & Drinking Water Dept.:
Promotion of nutrition sensitive livelihood
programmes under Livelihood Mission and SHGs,
Strengthening role of Panchayat on Health, Nutrition
Sports & Youth Affairs Dept.:
Adolescent Girls out of schools
Agriculture & Farmers
Promotion of millets and
Health &Family Welfare Dept.:
Strengthening of Nutrition Rehabilitation Centers,
Supply side strengthening of Iron Folic Acids and
Vitamin A, Zinc and ORS
Data Integration of Health and ICDS
Women and Child Development
& Mission Shakti Dept.:
Strengthening of ICDS services,
Establishment of crèche in vulnerable areas,
Women Empowerment through Mission Shakti SHGs,
Strengthening of child tracking management and
capacity building of frontline workers
Food and Civil Supplies:
National Food Security Act and
SC/ST & Minorities Welfare:
Programme with tribal
residential schools on
Fisheries & Animal Resources Dept.:
Promotion of small fish farming,
rural backyard and poultry
School & Mass Education
Adolescent School Health
Programme; Fortification of Mid
Rural Development Dept.:
Roadways in inaccessible
Mainstreaming Pathway Reach Investment/ Leverage
Dietary Diversity – There is a consistent evidence base on impact of increased
variety of micro-nutrient rich foods on nutrition outcomes.
2. Pilot with
Cultivate Nutri-gardens and adopt
Nutrition sensitive crop planning and
Households in 8
blocks across 2
APPI - INR 15 Cr. to
3. Scaling up the
Odisha Livelihood Mission (OLM) has
agreed to scale this model to
promote nutri-gardens, backyard
poultry, and goat rearing through 3
resource NGOs (Living Farms,
107 blocks across
APPI – INR 40 Cr. to
OLM, Living Farms,
OLM – INR 27 Cr.
across the state,
A Nutrition vertical with staffing set
up under the project is absorbed
under OLM permanently. OLM
already integrated this model in their
regular program with all existing
The state government will
mainstream the model across the
state alongside organic expansion of
To be fully leveraged
from the state
Pathway for Mainstreaming – Example – Dietary
Summary of current APPI and OLM Partnership
Improving Nutritional status of Women and Children across Odisha through
mainstreaming Dietary diversity interventions by building Capacity and establishing
a Nutrition Vertical within Odisha Livelihood Mission (OLM).
• To improve dietary diversity, nutrition knowledge & practice of Women across
• Build capacity of OLM field level cadres on nutrition issues.
1. Establishing and Strengthening Nutrition focused Vertical under OLM
2. Capacity Building of 9000 OLM Cadres on Nutrition Issues
3. Implementing Nutri-Garden, Backyard poultry at household level along with seed
4. Improve women SHG members’ Knowledge, Attitude and Practice on nutrition
• 7.5 lakhs women trained on Nutrition practices, establishing Nutri-gardens and
Back yard poultry, across 107 Blocks and all 30 districts of Odisha.
• 2.5 lakhs households will adopt and implement the dietary diversity interventions.
Time Frame 3 years
Odisha Livelihood Mission.
PRADAN , Harsha Trust, Living Farms.
• Nutri-garden has to be at each household
• Back Yard Poultry (BYP) & Goat rearing are added activities of
• Consumption by the target group- Pregnant women, Lactating
mothers, Children below 6 months and up to 5 years, Adolescent
• Training on PLA LANN, Nutri-garden, BYP & Goat rearing to
specific community cadre
• Developing a pool of Master Trainers at district level to train
• Creating trained community cadres for training to SHGs and
• Convergence with linked depart. of Administration upto GP level
& community up to individual level
• Creating a mass movement on nutrition aspects through SHG
10 FOOD GROUPS
2. Roots and Tubers
4. Nuts and Seeds
5. Dairy Products
6. Poultry and Fish
7. Dark Green leafy vegetables
8. Vit-A Rich fruits and vegetables
9. Other Vegetables
Weekly Modules of PLA-LANN
Participatory Learning and Action-Linking Agriculture to Natural Resources and
1. Introduction to 14 PLA Modules,Understanding the intergenerational
2. Mapping of current status of under-nutrition(MUAC and growth chart).
3. Identifying and prioritising HNWASH related problems.
4. Finding causes and solutions to the problems.
5. Choosing feasible strategies and taking over responsibilities.
6. Importance of One Thousand days Care.
7. Locally available food and balanced diet.
Weekly Modules of PLA-LANN Cont..
8. New born care and exclusive breast feeding.
9. Timely Initiation of complementary feeding and
10.Unsafe food, Food contamination through pesticides.
11.Understanding Faecal oral transmission routes.
12. Importance of cleanliness during monthly periods of
adolescent girls,in talking Iron & Folic acids tablets and
stop early marriage (below 18 years).
13.Review/Revisit of strategies to prevent under nutrition