How to build a professional network in a way that enhances your standing and nurtures your business and your life.
Why networking is worth the time and the effort spent.
Why successful networking is especially important for entrepreneurs.
Being aware of the rules and also the cardinal sins of networking.
How networking can give your business personality.
A bit about me …
• I startedlife as a commercialaccountant
• I left my safejob to become a SiliconValley dotcommer
• Became an entrepreneurlaterin life thanmost
• Have founded4 startupsof my own … so far!
• I’ve been described by others as “as a collectorof people anda nurturerof
networks” – I’ve been doing thatallof my life
• I’ve only ever appliedfor a job throughformalmeans once in my life
How do I get started?
• Thinkabout who youalreadyknow
• Join some organisations– formal& informal
• Start to write a blogor comment on other people’s
• Joinsome LinkedInor Facebookgroups & make smarter use of Twitter
• Do some homework beforeyou attendevents
What are the Rules?
• Be braveandapproachstrangers – what’s the worst thatcanhappen
• Be friendlyand pleasant
• Have a 30 secondelevatorpitchandbe ready to trot it out
• Be ambitiousin who youreachout to – especiallyonline
• Remember this is a two-way street & karma playsa part
Watch out for the Cardinal Sins?
• Not followingup
• Playinga numbers game
• Rejecting anyoneyou deem to not be useful
• Mixingup networkingandselling – a complete no-no
• If you’re the “recipient” – don’t expect the otherparty to do any runningor
So - what’s networking ever done for me?
• I’ve met some very interestingpeople – many of whom are now friends
• I’ve given my business a personality
• Networkinghasled to new work andengagements
• I’m betterinformedthanI wouldotherwise be
• I’ve dramaticallyincreasedmy reach& mademyself more visible
• I founda wonderfulnon exec directorfor my Board
• I’ve met peoplewho I’ve laterrecruited
• Oh yeah – I’ve hada lot of laughsalongthe way