Although gold recycling supplies a significant portion of the worldwide demand for gold, new gold is obtained through mining operations. Learn about different gold mining techniques in this presentation.
How Gold Mining Works
• Although gold recycling supplies
a significant portion of the
worldwide demand for gold,
new gold is obtained through
• Modern-day mining requires a
lot more than just pitchforks and
drills. Let’s look at some popular
gold mining tools and strategies.
• Chemical mining is one of the most efficient forms
of mining because it can extract every molecule of
gold from ore that is brought to the surface.
• Gold ore is crushed and ground as fine as possible,
then combined with a solution of cyanide which
leaches the gold out of the ore.
Recovering the Gold
Once the gold is successfully leached from the
ore, miners have a number of options to recover the
gold from the cyanide solution:
• carbon-in-pulp method
• Merrill-Crowe process
• Resin-in-pulp method
• Gold dredging is similar to panning for gold, but on
a much larger scale.
• The front end of a gold dredge is like a conveyor
belt of buckets that are filled with water and
sediment via either suction or scooping.
• The buckets’ contents are dumped onto a rotating steel
filter that allows small materials, like gold flakes, to pass
• The small materials are further filtered through a sluice box to get
the highest yield of gold.
• Rocks and other filtered sediment
are dumped out of the rear of the
gold dredge and back into the water
• Hushing is a mining technique that was invented
centuries ago, but is still sometimes used for small-
scale mining operations.
• When prospectors could confirm that a hillside had
veins of gold in, they would build a massive
reservoir at the top of the hill and use aqueducts to
fill it with water.
• Once the reservoir was full, they
would release all of the water at
once to create an enormous wave
that would erode the side of the
mountain and reveal the veins of
• As the veins were mined, they could fill
the reservoir again to clear the veins of
any dirt or rocks that had built up.
• The geological conditions and capabilities of the
mining company determine the method of gold
• After the hard work of extraction is complete, the
gold is then refined - after which it enters the
Manhattan Gold & Silver (MGS) is a precious metals refiner that has been based in
Manhattan’s historic Diamond District since 1985. We are a B2B company that
buys and recycles precious metal scraps that accumulate in other businesses.
• The industrial sector
• Antique dealers
• Domestic mining
• And more!
• MGS also creates charts, calculators, and other online tools for our customers to
• Try our Precious Metals Prices app, which lets you monitor the real-time precious metals
market situation from anywhere, right from your iPhone, iPad, or Android device.
Recycle your Precious
Metals for Profit
• MGS accepts gold, silver, platinum, and palladium.
• Payouts are based on the London Fixing.
• Up to 99% payout (among the highest in the US)
• Up to 98.5% for gold brought in for hand testing.
• Not in NYC? Ship us your precious metals using our Ship &
Sell service which offers:
• Same day wired payment (once lot is received)
• Discounted, insured shipping
• Payout calculator
Connect with MGS
• For amazing facts, history and news, read our gold and precious metals blog.
• Join the conversation about precious metals on the MGS page on Facebook.
• Follow gold, silver, and other precious metal trends at the MGS Twitter account.
• Circle MGS on Google+ to hear our latest updates.
• If you do business with us, connect with us on the MGS LinkedIn page.
• To see precious metal melting and refinement in action, visit the MGS YouTube