Successfully reported this slideshow.
Unit 2 Visual elements of the image
A game for creative people.
1. How many different types of points/dots are there?
There are two types. Geometric points and graphic points.
2. What sensation does a point give if it is located at the
of the plane?
It gives the sensation that it weighs less.
Sensation that the point weighs less.
3. What is the name of the artistic movement which uses
points to create images?
“A Sunday afternoon on the island of La Grande Jatte,”
Georges Saurat. 1884-86. Oil on canvas
4. What sensation do points of different sizes give?
They give a sensation of space. The larger points are nearer
and the smaller points are further away.
5. How can we shade an image with points?
We concentrate many points together around the same area.
6. What is the definition of a line?
A line is a graphic representation of the path of a moving point.
7. Different types of lines give us different types of
sensations. What sensations do horizontal, vertical,
diagonal and spiral lines give?
Horizontal: tranquility, rest & stability. Vertical: elevation &
spirituality. Diagonal: instability. Spiral: time & internalisation.
Horizontal lines. The sea, the horizon. Vertical lines. The trees.
Diagonal lines. A modern building. Spiral lines. A nautilus shell.
8. What techniques can we apply to shade with lines?
We can use hatching and cross hatching to shade with lines.
9. What is a plane?
A plane is an area closed by a line.
10. What planes are more dynamic, planes with straight
lines or planes with curved lines?
Planes with curved lines.
“Guernica”. Pablo Picasso. 1937
11. Name five different examples of texture in nature.
Textures in nature: hay, bark, water, sand, wool.
Hay Bark Water
12. What is the difference between visual texture and
Visual texture can be seen only, but tactile texture can be
seen and touched.