Biomedical Engineering …
• Specialized branch of Engineering.
• Medical Technology: 2nd position in terms of
• Food & Health integral part of life and would
• The unique interface between engineering and
healthcare -utilize the knowledge of engineering in
healthcare for a better patient care.
• Involves almost all types of science and
• The most passionate area of research- other
branches of engineering carry out the research
in biomedical as their area is saturated.
• Our solutions impact the society to improve
lifespan of individuals, the most valuable
• is a speciality within biomedical engineering .
• responsible primarily for applying and implementing
medical technology to optimize healthcare delivery.
• governmental regulators on hospital inspections/audits.
• technological consultants for other hospital staff .
• advise medical device producers regarding prospective
design improvements based on clinical experiences.
• Procurement and asset management.
• Bio Signal Processing
• Medical Imaging
• Medical Informatics
• Genetic Engineering
• Tissue Engineering
• Clinical Research
Engineer/ Auditor /
Sales/ Service /
Researcher/ Patent Examiner
Job opportunities …
• BLS (Bureau of Labour Statistics)- biomedical
engineering - fastest growing professions all over
• Hospitals/ Healthcare organisations in INDIA
• Sales/ Service/ Application Specialist.
• Limited number of manufacturers for sophisticated
equipments (100% FDI).
• Evolving and developing though in India.
• investment towards R&D field related to biomedical
sector is increasing.
• Experience / Internship training.
• Very promising career in developed countries.
• B Braun Medical
• Becton Dickinson
• Wipro GE Healthcare
• Schiller Healthcare
• Maquet Medical
Healthcare Standards …
• HL7 standard.
• Logical Observation Identifiers Names and Codes
• International Classification of Diseases (ICD10)
• Systematized Nomenclature of Medicine--Clinical Terms
(SNOMED-CT)- International Health Terminology
Standards Development Organization (IHTSDO)
• Current Procedural Terminology, 4th Edition (CPT 4)
• ATC – Anatomic Therapeutic Chemical Classification of
• Digital Imaging and Communications in Medicine
• International Organization for Standardization (ISO)
• Standards for Medical Devices.
• Medical Devices Regulation-WHO
• ECRI Institute (formerly the "Emergency Care
• Joint Commission on Accreditation of Healthcare
Organizations - JCAHO .
• Accreditation Canada
• The Australian Council on Healthcare Standards or ACHS.
• QHA Trent Accreditation (United Kingdom)/
• The International Society for Quality in Health Care
• National Accreditation Board for Hospitals and
Healthcare Providers (NABH)
Higher Studies - India
• IIT Mumbai
• IIT kharagpur
• IIT Madras
• Anna University, Chennai
• Visvesvaraya Technological University, Belgaum
• VIT University, Tamil Nadu
• SRM University, Tamil Nadu
• MG University, Kerala
Higher Studies - Abroad
• United Kingdom
• National Health Portal (http://www.nhp.gov.in/)
• Department of Electronics and Information Technology –
• Department of Biotechnology – DBT
• Biotechnology Industry Research Assistance Council ---BIRAC.
• Kerala State Council For Science, Technology & Environment –
• Indian Council of Medical Research ICMR (www.icmr.nic.in)
• International Funding
– IEEE EMBS (Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society)
– IEEE SIGHT (Special Interest Group on Humanitarian
– International Collaborative projects (Indo-American, Indo-
German) through Govt. of India.
Public Sector Undertakings
• HLL Life Care
• Sree Chitra Tirunal Institute for Medical Sciences &
• Kerala Medical Services Corporation Ltd.
• National Health Mission
• eHealth Kerala
• Indian Institute of Information Technology &
• Technical / Managerial Assistance.
• Local Body Registration.
• Linkage with funding agencies.
• Taxes Department.
• Additional Skill Acquisition Programme – ASAP Kerala
• Kerala Institute for Entrepreneurship
• Kerala Financial Corporation- KFC
• Kerala State Entrepreneur Development Mission
• Ministry of Micro, Small & Medium Enterprises (GoI)
• Directorate of Industries and Commerce