Home Work and Exercise MBA Forum of “Making Ethical Decision 2008/9/29
Question: A well-liked member of your staff with an excellent record confides in you
that he has AIDS. Although his illness has not affected his performance, you’re
concerned about his future jealth and about the reactions of his co-workers.
1. tell him to keep you informed about his health and say nothing to his co-workers;
2. arrange for him to transfer to an area of the organization where he can work
3. hold a staff meeting to inform his co-workers and ask them how they fell about
his continued presence on your team;
4. consult your human resources officer on how to proceed.
Answer the following questions as honestly as you can. Circle the number between 1
and 5 that best represents your own beliefs about business
1. Financial gain is all that counts in business. 1 2 3 4 5
2. Ethical standards must be compromised in
3. The more financially successful the business
person, the more unethical the behavior.
4.Moral values are irrelevant in business.
5.The business world has its own rules
6.Business persons care only about making profit.
7.Business in like a game-one plays to win.
8.In business, people will do anything to further
their own interest.
9.Competition forces business managers to resort
to shady practice.
10.The profit motive pressures managers to
Compromise their ethical concerns
Add the total number of points. The maximum is 50 points. Total_________________
The higher your score, the more cynical you are about ethical business practice. Think
about the reasons for your responses. Be prepared to discuss them in class.