Successfully reported this slideshow.
Activate your 14 day free trial to unlock unlimited reading.
GREEN CAREERS CONFERENCE PRESENTATION
MA State Facility Portfolio
Commonwealth’s facilities portfolio:
• 80 million gross square feet of space
• Over 6300 structures on 276 campuses containing multiple facilities
• Located on over 13,000 real estate parcels
Estimated annual energy costs of $240 million
Energy & Sustainability Program
Manages energy/water efficiency and renewable projects
Supports Sustainable Design for New Construction (LEED)
Brings in direct revenue – demand response, RECs, grants, etc.
Tracks compliance with E.O. 484 (LEED, energy and water
Supports Administration and DOER on energy/sustainability
Assists agencies, including: training, retro-commissioning,
funding, policy, and development of studies
Procures statewide services for energy consulting, solar
maintenance, real time metering, etc.
How Mass Is Leading By Example
and Climate Plan
Creating A Cleaner Energy Future For the Commonwealth
Executive Order No. 484
Leading by Example—Clean Energy and Efficient Buildings
Issued April 2007
Sets goals for state agencies:
GHG emission reduction
Requires all new construction to
meet Mass. LEED Plus
Includes executive agencies,
colleges and universities, courts,
0% 50% 100%
GHG Emissions Reduction
Energy Use Reduction
Use of Renewable Energy
2050 2020 2012
Creating A Cleaner Energy Future For the Commonwealth
Met GHG Emissions Reduction target
2012 GHG Emissions reduced by 25% from the LBE Baseline
700 sites across state
55.4M sq. ft.
105 evaluated but not
168 sites are
Accelerated Energy Program Accomplishments (2012-2014)
Partnerships • Close collaboration with DOER
• Utility company engagement
• Inter agency steering committee and work groups
• Vendor meetings
• Workforce advisors meetings with private and public stakeholders
• 700 sites in 700 working days
• Deferred maintenance and code upgrades
• Towards Zero Net Energy pilot projects
• $8.9 million annual savings underway
• $42 million annual savings projected
• 25% greenhouse gas reduction projected
• $24 million utility company incentives projected
• $278 million to be funded through energy savings
New gas boilers at NCCI Gardner replace inefficient oil-fired
system. Site achieves $2.4 million annual cost reduction .
DCAMM and DOER work on program design and scope.
AEP quarterly implementation team meeting, held in
conjunction with DOER Leading by Example, at
The Problem – DDS Hogan - Danvers
• Plant built late 1800’s- site of former
Danvers State Hospital
• Nearly 1 mile from plant to facility
• Studies to replace started in 1980’s
• No dedicated funds
• Many parties needed to agree
• Finished construction in 2012
• Cost of new natural gas system for one month = facility used to pay for 2
days of oil
• Other upgrades include lighting, new windows, energy controls
• Leveraged other funds
• Over a million in utility incentives, 43% reduction in energy use, $2.4M
• Huge comfort improvements
Energy Project Responsibilities
Consultant/Designer – for
study, initial design &
third party review
DCAM Project Manager,
Manages on Behalf of
AEP Spotlight – Comprehensive Retrofit
Status: Final Design
• 35 buildings equaling approximately 2,771,000sf.
• Comprehensive energy and water retrofit includes:
• South Power Plant boiler replacement and
• BACnet compatible meters and controls
• Interior/exterior lighting fixture upgrades and
• Variable Air Volume systems
• Replacement of chillers
• Low-flow toilets, faucets and showerheads
w/motion sensing technology
• Solar car canopies and solar hot water
• Estimated construction cost: $26M
• Projected savings: $1.3M per year
• Project will address related deferred maintenance
opportunities across the campus.
Executive Office of Labor & Workforce
• Heating and cooling systems currently
operate simultaneously and independently.
• Recommended ECMs:
• Total investment of $20,000.
• Estimated annual savings of $12,000.
Taunton Career Center
AEP Spotlight – Retro commissioning
LEED-NC Platinum Certified
1 Building Certified
Source: Green Building Information Gateway
DEP Wall Experiment Station
Certified in the top 3% of all LEED-NC projects nationally. DEP Wall is the
first certified platinum public laboratory in the Northeastern U.S and is in the
top 11% for Indoor Environmental Quality (IEQ).
Accelerated Energy Program – Future
• Towards Zero Net Energy buildings
• Integrated & Innovative technologies
• Public/Private Partnerships
• Total Cost of Ownership
• Electric Vehicle Charging Stations
• Large comprehensive
• Utility Sponsored Projects
• Innovative technologies and creative financing
• Renewable energy projects
• Training facilities managers and occupants
• Reports and analytics
• Continuous commissioning
• Communication and feedback
• Better Building Management
Worker performing weatherization at Uxbridge
Data from Enterprise Energy Management
System indicating changes in energy use
Burner Booster innovative technology to
improve efficiency of oil systems. Installed at
AICP LEED AP BOC
Energy & Sustainability
Commonwealth of Mass
Be the first to like this
Number of Embeds
You have now unlocked unlimited access to 20M+ documents!
Learn faster and smarter from top experts
Download to take your learnings offline and on the go
You also get free access to Scribd!
Instant access to millions of ebooks, audiobooks, magazines, podcasts and more.
Read and listen offline with any device.
Free access to premium services like Tuneln, Mubi and more.