NRT 2011: Bridging Farmers to the Jollibee Value Chain Program
Bridging Farmers to the Jollibee Supply Chain Project
CITY GOVERNMENT OF SAN JOSE DEPT. Of AGRICULTURE NATIONAL LIVELIHOOD BPRE/PHILMECH DEVELOPMENT CORPORATION PCI CDA
The goal of the JF-NLDC-CRSPartnership Project is to link smallfarmers from 6 selected sites in theprovinces of Nueva Ecija, Bukidnon,Quezon, North Cotabato, MisamisOriental and Zamboanga to thesupply chain of Jollibee FoodsCorporation
• o organize farmers into agro-enterprise Tclusters for the purpose of consolidatingsupply and pooling transport logistics;• o assist farmers to engage in value-adding Tactivities in order to enhance their complianceof quality requirements; and• o increase the knowledge of farmers about Tfarming practices that will increase theirproductivity and reduce costs in order toincrease the income of farmers
Project Site San Jose, Nueva Ecija LGU of San Jose + MFI (ASKI)
• n 2008-09, the farmers of the 2 barangays formed Ithemselves into clusters and later on transformedinto a cooperative and entered into a marketingagreement with Jollibee Foods Corporation thru theinitiatives of LGU-San Jose City, CRS, and ASKIunder the project called, “Bridging Farmers for theJollibee Supply Chain” duly supported by JollibeeFoundation, National Development Corporation andCatholic Relief Services.
• alasag Farmers Producers Cooperative (KFPC) Kevolved from the onion clusters of barangaysKaliwanagan and San Agustin where the term Kalasagwas derived.• Production loans was granted by Alalay sa KaunlaranInc, (ASKI), the conduit of NLDC in Nueva Ecija;while technical supervision was handled by Agri Staff ofthe City Agriculturist.
Basic Information:• ate organized– June 15, 2008 D• ate Registered—October 14, 2008 D• DA Registration—PGA—6189 C• overage and members (2008) CBarangay MembersKaliwanagan 15 farmersSan Agustin 15 farmers
• n the 2nd Phase of the Project, ten (10)onion farmers Owere accepted as Associate Members. Four of themwere from the adjacent barangay of Brgy. Villa Marina.• or CY 2010-11, additional 5 members joined as Fassociate with a total membership now of 45 oniongrowers.
The Site Working Group (SWG) is headed by the City Mayor. It composed of the following: Office RepresentativeCity Mayor Hon. Marivic BelenaCity Agriculture Reynaldo Amarillo-CAO, Fred Alfonso, Malou Brillo, Edgardo BustamanteCity Cooperative Development Ma. Cristina Corpuz-CCOOfficeAlalay sa Kaunlaran, Inc Alexander Puno-BM, Rodolfo Padua Jr.Catholic Relief Services Dominador MarianoKalasag Farmers Coop Arnold Dizon-Chairman Wencelito Gomez-Manager
Calendar Year (CY) Target/Quota Remarks 2008‐2009 60 mts Fresh white onion 2009‐2010 236 mts Fresh white onion=33.73% Peeled onions=66.27% 2010‐2011 300 mts Fresh white onion=25% Peeled onions=75%
Year Amount of Loan Remarks (Type of Loan) Nov 2008 Php 870,000 Produc_on Loan Nov 2009‐Jan 2010 Php 1,900,000 Produc_on Loan July 2010 Php 750,000 Seeds Procurement Dec 2010 Php 2,000,000 Produc_on Loan Jan 2011 Php 1,000,000 Produc_on and Storage Fee Total Php 6,520,000
Materials Source Cold Storage bin ‐20 footer van BPRE/PhilMech 1 unit reefer truck (3 tons capacity) BPRE/PhilMech 150 Plas_c Crates BPRE/PhilMech Screen Houses – 1 unit DA‐RFU III * Shallow Tube wells DA‐RFU III * 1 unit reefer truck with tractor head (40 d) DA‐RFU III Mul_‐_lling Machine‐1 unit DA‐RFU III Motorized Sprayer – 1 unit DA‐RFU III 1 unit of personal computer CRS 1 unit shredder DA‐BSWM 17 heads of purebreed Murrah Buﬀalo PCC *Items = for release
• ssue on Insurance coverage; I• elayed payment of loan; D• igher price of onions offered by traders ; H• npredictable weather conditions. U• nternal problems within the cooperative. I• rogram participants screening. P
1. Farmers income increases. 2. Creates jobs in the comunity. 3. Strong partnership with LGUs and other government units. 4. Model for Value Chain Financing for Agriculture. 5. Can be considered as Corporate Social Responsibility programs of companies..
How we do it? Towards New Clusters/ 8 Enterprises Cluster Strengthening 1 Site Selection, 7 Partnership Building and Formation of Scaling Up Working Group 2 6 Product Supply Test Marketing The Clustering Assessment and Product Selection Approach 5 3 Cluster Plan Market Chain Formulation Study 4 Cluster Formation
Clustering Approach Collaboration with AgrotechnologyGovernment Agencies,LGUs and local NGOs Dissemination Partnership with MFIs IMPLEMENTATION STRATEGIES
Future Direc_on of ASKI: • eplicate in other areas of ASKI. R • den,fy other corpora,ons that can partner with IASKI and its clients. • ocument the experience and come out with Best DPrac,ces Handbook on VCF.